eighty-nine

ATTN: IF YOU MISSED 88 DUE TO WATTPAD BEING DOWN, PLEASE GO READ NOW

"I need a neuro consult in three," Dr. Hayden directed towards Mariana. She sent him a thumbs up and rolled her chair over to the phone. She waited to get transferred to the neuro department and took her time to look around the emergency room. At four months pregnant, her feet were aching at the idea of standing for her shift and so she snagged a chair at the nurse's station any time she got a chance.

Her eyes drifted over to Leslie and Travis standing by the incoming trauma phone, their faces pale as they talked quickly amongst themselves. Leslie looked over at Mariana and immediately darted her eyes away which of course made her curious.

"Neuro." The line finally connected.

"We need a neuro consult in the ER, bay three."

"On it."

Mariana hung up the phone and spun her chair around to stare pointedly at the two idiots hiding by the wall. "What?"

Leslie grimaced and looked to the ambulance bay before back down at Mari. The older woman extended a hand and Mari took it gratefully. Her sense of balance was starting to slack and getting in and out of chairs was becoming a fun game. Eddie practically had a heart attack seeing her stumble onto the couch one night.

"Let's go grab you some food," Leslie said as she pulled Mariana towards the break room. The brunette scoffed out a laugh and looked at the slightly rounded bump of her stomach.

"Trying to fatten me up? Did Eddie put you up to this?"

Leslie led her to one of the few couches in the break room and motioned for her to sit down. The older woman sat across from her on the coffee table and clasped her hands in front of her, worry creasing her brows. Mariana sat up straighter, her hand flying to run along her stomach.

"Les, what's going on?"

"The 118 is incoming with two injured."

"Who? How bad? Why aren't we gowning up?" Mari started to rise but Leslie shot her hand out to clasp around Mariana's wrist and pull her back down on the couch.

"The stress won't be good for the baby. It's best that you stay in here until we can assess them."

"You have never had a problem with me working on the team until now. Who. is. it?" Her sharp words were punctuated with a tight grip on Leslie's hands.

"I'm sorry but you know the hospital policy. You can't work on your husband."

Mariana sat back against the couch with sheer panic in her eyes. She let out a choked gasp and shook her head frantically, hoping that this was all a dream. The world seemed so impossibly still that this had to be a joke. It had to be.

"How bad is it?" she finally whispered.

"The person who was supposed to be working the pulley on the roof left their post. One of the ropes snapped and there was no one to warn them. Buck hit a landing and is reported to have minor bruising but they're checking for internal bleeding. Eddie...the line gave way completely for him and he fell through two floors."

Mari bit out a sob, her arms wrapping around her middle protectively as if to protect Peanut from the world. Peanut, she realized. I need to stay calm for Peanut.

"What are his injuries?" she asked, trying to settle her shoulders and calm down with a deep breath.

"Fractured wrist, dislocated shoulder, and a severe concussion. They said he lost consciousness on the way here. Chimney said that he was searching for you."