twenty

Mariana caught the rope and she quickly yanked it up around her waist and pulled back. With Buck and Mari holding it, Eddie was able to focus on grabbing the woman's hands and yanking her into the building. The two firefighters strained against the extra weight but eventually secured the woman and Eddie and pulled them into the hall.

"You good?" Buck asked as Mari regained her breath.

"Yeah. Just remind me to cut Diaz off at two helpings at dinner," she gasped out, leaning against the wall next to the woman who had introduced herself as Ally.

"I hate you," Eddie groaned as he pulled himself up off the floor. The brunette shot him an exaggerated eye roll.

"Let's get going," Buck exclaimed once they were all settled and the ropes were fastened back into their belts. Ally's heels were a no go for the debris and the danger of twisting an ankle so they were going to help her navigate the stairs barefoot.

They were making good progress. Mari and Eddie led the group while Buck helped keep Ally steady with a rope attaching him to her. They were almost back to the fifth floor when the trip became a little rockier.

"That's it, you're doing great. You've uh...you've done this before, haven't you?" Eddie coached Ally down the steps.

"Yeah, it was my major at the Rhode Island School of Design," the blonde snarked. Mari felt her lips quirk up at the statement. "Sorry, sarcasm is my fall back for pretty much everything."

"Totally get it," Buck muttered. "Mari is the queen of sarcasm."

The brunette shot him a glare, turning to see Ally hesitate on the steps. The woman was frightened, of course, but there was a look of panic and dread in her eyes.

"Do you think he'll still be on the sidewalk when we get there?"

"No. And we're not going out that side anyway," Buck reassured her.

"Let's hustle up, you two. We don't want to be here for the next aftershock," Eddie said.

"Wait, what do you mean the next aftershock?" Ally cried.

Eddie simply ignored her panic and reached out to help her down. Mari moved ahead of them and stopped at the sight before her. "Aw, fuck. You've gotta be kidding me."

"No way out," Eddie sighed.

"So what now?" Ally exclaimed.

"We go back up."

"Back up?!"

Before anyone could respond, their radios crackled to life on their shoulders. "Ladder 118, respond. This is Captain Nash. I need a headcount."

"Ladder 118 respond. Diaz, Buckley, Ramirez. We're good, cap."

"Castillo and Jackson responding."

"Chimney responding."

"Hen, do you copy? Hen! This is Captain Nash for Henrietta Wilson, do you copy?"

No response. Mari slammed her hand down on the railing and bowed her head. Out of everyone on the team, Hen had the most to lose. The most to go home to. They couldn't lose her.

"Friend of yours?" Ally asked.

"Let's keep moving," Eddie grumbled. They started to make their way up when Eddie laid a hand on Mari's shoulder. "She'll be fine. Her radio's probably just busted. Don't think like that."

She studied him for a moment, her hazel eyes dark and guarded. Mari then hesitated but nodded and kept climbing.

///