forty-nine

A/N: I LIED HAHA I HAD THE TIME AND ENERGY TO KNOCK THIS OUT IT'S 2K WORDS I HOPE YOU ENJOY also my current hyperfixation rn is julie and the phantoms if you've seen it pls comment ur thoughts

Mariana sighed as she readjusted her apron ties and plated the cookies. Balancing three plates in her arms, she exited the kitchen and bent down so she could slide one of the plates on the kitchen table and then the other two on the coffee table where the kids were decorating gingerbread houses.

"Good job, Chris," she hummed as she gently raked her fingers through his curls and ruffled his hair.

He didn't reply and her shoulders fell as she made her way back to the kitchen table and took a seat across from Hen. She dropped her head into her hands and sighed as Eddie rubbed reassuring circles onto her back.

"It got ugly," he explained to Hen. "After we said we had to work on Christmas, he went straight to his room and wouldn't speak to us for the rest of the night."

"Mhmm. It's just new, he'll get over it," Hen assured them.

"Abuela's bringing him to my aunt's. I know he's going to have a great time, it's just...last Christmas was special. This one's harder."

Mariana raised her head so she could look at them, a sad expression in her big brown eyes. "So much has happened this year and not being able to be with him on the day that's supposed to be for family...it feels wrong."

"Is that why you invited us all here?" Hen asked. "Trying to cram in as much Christmas cheer between now and then?"

"Well, Mari thought it'd be nice to bring the boys together for a playdate," he teased. Mariana shot him a look and nabbed the cookie off of his plate, biting into it delicately as he watched with narrowed eyes.

"Yeah, all three of them," Hen said, ignoring the couple as she turned to look at Denny, Chris, and Buck put together a gingerbread house. Buck was adding the icing onto the house frame, excitedly stirring the cup. Mariana smirked at the sight of him acting like a little kid and exchanged a knowing look with Hen.

"Hey Buck?" Christopher asked. "Can I spend Christmas with you?"

Buck shot them all a panicked look and Mariana shook her head, standing and heading to the kitchen where she told herself she would focus on cleaning up. After banging pots and pans around for a few minutes, Eddie appeared in the doorway with a frown on his face. She took one look at him and promptly let her shoulders fall, the corners of her lips pulling down into a frown.

"I'm sorry. I just...I don't know," she whispered.

"Hey, no need to explain," he said, taking the pan out of her hands and placing it on the counter. He gathered her in his arms and pressed his cheek against her temple, feeling the shakiness of her breathing against his neck.

"Christmas meant so much to my parents and I remember all the fun we had. I didn't care about working on Christmas before but now I hate it. I wish we could be here with him, making memories."

He dropped a kiss to her hair and pressed her closer to him, shutting his eyes at the feel of her hands sliding along his back. Mariana tucked her face against his chest and dropped a kiss right above his heart.

"We'll still celebrate, just a day after. He'll understand eventually," he murmured.

"This year sucks," she whimpered.

"I know sweetheart. I wish I could fix it."

"I bought Diego a present. I don't know how to give it to him without Valentina throwing it out."