seventy-six

"Don't think you're going to be needing those med kits," Bobby announced as Eddie, Mari, and Buck entered the yard. The woman huffed and shouldered her gear bag, glancing down at the pool where the victim floated face down.

"Huh," she vocalized.

"Yeah, Crime Scene Unit's on the way," Athena explained. "We just need to get a medical confirmation that she's dead."

"On it," Chimney called. Mariana was grateful because while she talked a tough game, crime scenes really weren't her thing. Her husband and her best friend, however...

"Chimney's being weird," Buck hissed.

"How can you tell?" Eddie asked, craning his neck and crouching down slightly to see the body better. Buck, rather than answering, got distracted by the gate.

"Hey, whoever killed her kicked that gate in good! Clean footprint on it."

"Well, that foot would be mine," Athena replied. "The gate was latched shut from the inside. Front door was locked too."

"If everything was locked when you got here, how'd the murder get in or out?" Eddie asked.

"Eh, trellis fence in the back wouldn't be too hard to scale," Mariana mused. Everyone turned to stare at her and she sighed. "Are we honestly surprised at this point?"

"It's a locked-room mystery," Buck exclaimed.

"A locked-yard mystery," Eddie corrected. "What do you think? Home invasion gone bad? Murder for hire?"

"Was she married? 'Cause...y'know. The husband is usually the culprit."

"Are we making a true crime podcast?" Athena asked.

"Ignore them," Mariana sighed. "They watched Dateline and all the Netflix crime documentaries over the summer." She nudged Buck with her elbow. "By the way, when I go missing, go for Eddie first."

///

"Hey, dinner's going to be ready in half an hour," Mari announced as she stuck her head into the bunk room. Buck looked up from his phone and sighed.

"I have a therapy session. Save me some, please."

"Yeah, of course. I didn't think you had therapy today." The brunette climbed onto the bed next to him and laid down, relishing in the moment of just being able to relax for a bit. She had been on her feet running from call to call, working on the trucks and restocking, and doing her share of chores.

"My parents."

"And that's a bad thing, I'm guessing."

He laid down next to her, tossing his phone on the small regulation night stand next to the bunk and staring up at the ceiling. Mariana tilted her head to look at him better, reaching over to poke his cheek. Buck shot her a confused look and she shrugged.

"Always cheers up Chris," she explained.

"You're such a mom."

Mariana reared her head back with a startled look in her eyes before a surprised laugh fell from her lips. She stared up at the ceiling and laughed once more.

"Holy shit, I'm a mom."

Buck let out a snort, nudging her leg with his. Mari grinned and looked over at him once more, her smile softening.

"You deserve to feel loved by your family, Buck. Blood or not. No matter what happens, I will always be proud of you. You're my brother and I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm always loyal to my family. Anytime you need me, you call."