seven

"Buck, if there is anything I can ever teach you, it's to never propose while faking an emergency," Mariana announced as she hopped out of the fire truck. Hen laughed in agreement with her comment and headed towards their floor lockers to hang up her bunker gear. After that exciting call, everyone was eager to get ready for the welcome back party for Chimney.

Athena had picked up the cake which left Bobby and Mariana in charge of the other snacks and Hen and Buck in charge of decorations. Well, Hen was in charge of decorations. Buck was the one putting them up.

"Alright guys, Chimney is getting here in half an hour! You know your jobs. Let's do this," Bobby ordered. Mariana bounded upstairs and stopped in her tracks at the sight of the monstrosity sitting in front of Athena on the counter.

"What is that?" Mariana choked out, a hint of a laugh in her voice.

"What do you think it is?" Athena exclaimed, propping her hands on her hip. Mariana joined her side, took one look at the cake, and dissolved into a fit of laughter. It was a cake version of Chimney's head with licorice rebar sticking out of its forehead. Mariana wiped the tears of mirth from her eyes and bit her lip as she moved past Athena to grab some of the dips and appetizers she had prepared earlier.

With her back turned, Bobby and Athena shared an amused glance between the two of them at the sight of a smiling Mariana. She seemed to be opening up more and smiling occasionally. Being that she didn't smile at all for a long time, they would accept the small grin here or there. Laughter was a momentous success.

"Bobby, did you order that?" Mariana asked as she passed him two dip bowls.

"Hen helped," he explained.

"He's going to love it."

She was right, of course. Everyone laughed at the sight of the cake and Chimney damn near had to sit down when he saw it. Bobby carried it to the table and placed it in front of the man of the hour who looked completely unaffected from the rebar that pierced his skull months earlier. Only a small scar remained on his forehead.

"Welcome back, Chim!" he declared. The room burst into cheers and applause as Chimney smiled and set his plate down.

"Aw, you guys."

"How does it feel to be back?" Buck asked.

"Uh, beats the alternative," Chimney replied, causing Mariana to let out a snort. He grinned and jabbed an elbow in her ribs as she tried to duck away into the safety of Buck's arms.

"Seriously though, everybody...one thing I realized while I was gone is that I really need you people...like I need a hole in the head!"

Mariana and Hen groaned as everyone erupted into laughter. The paramedic team was used to Chimney's stupid puns.

"Nevermind, go back home. Hen and I will handle it from here," the latina teased. "I'm kidding! Place hasn't been the same without you, Chim."

"You're the heart of this firehouse," Bobby added. "We're glad to have you back."

"Thanks, Bobby."

"Hey, you had a lot of people praying for you, not just this department either," Athena said.

"Well, I think somebody was listening. Even the doctors kept using the word "miracle". I guess if you're gonna have a piece of rebar through your skull, that's the way to do it."

"So, not even a headache?" Buck reached over Mariana's head to tap Chimney's.

"Just you, Buck. Just you," Chimney snarked back.