seventy-two

"Yeah but what we need to do is get containment in here, here, or if I make it myself-" De Leon explained as he pointed to the map.

"This is a joke!" the brunet snarled. Mariana scoffed at De Leon's words and crossed her arms over her chest, shaking her head. "We know exactly where the chopper went down. So why haven't you sent out a rescue team?"

"As I said, the beacon is coming from two miles inside an active burn zone. It is not safe to send anyone up in the dark," De Leon tried to placate him.

"Commander, with all due respect, we accept the risk and we ain't asking anybody else to go," Judd interrupted.

"You know I can't authorize that."

"Those are our people out there," Buck insisted.

"They could be bleeding out right now. Dying." Buck's new friend pleaded. Eddie tensed at his words and Mariana subtly pressed her hand against his back as a gentle reminder of where they were. They weren't in Afghanistan. They were here in Texas.

"Son, we haven't had any cell or radio contact at all since the mayday. Nobody else is risking their lives tonight. And your father would be the first one to agree with me."

Shelby moved from where she had been standing next to Paul, following the guy as she called out "TK!"

Mariana watched as the two left the tent, the realization finally hitting her of who that guy was. Carlito's boyfriend. Captain Strand's son.

"So what can we do?" Paul asked.

"We will send out a rescue team at first light," De Leon assured them.

"That's too late," Mariana snapped. "I know you aren't aware of my reputation, sir, but listening isn't my strong suit."

Eddie placed his hand on her shoulder, a reminder that she wasn't in LA and wasn't immune to punishment from superiors. Bobby's leniency wouldn't extend to Texas.

"I'm sorry. I really am."

They filed out, everyone's faces holding a mixture of despair and anger. Mariana turned to face her two boys, fury coursing through her veins.

"This isn't fair! If it was one of us, Hen would be out there."

"It's not safe," Eddie sighed.

"If I was in that helicopter, you would stop at nothi-"

"You know damn well why," he growled. "Don't even say that. If you were in that helicopter Mariana, I-"

He stopped himself and ran a hand through his hair and over his face, turning away from Buck and Mari. The blond stepped back from his two best friends, letting them handle it between themselves.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I forgot. I..."

"I know. I know. I just...I need to take a walk. I'm not mad at you. I'm not. I love you, okay? That's why I can't...shit, Mari."

She nodded, her hand going up to touch the chain that hung from her neck and the two tags that pressed against her chest. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and she shut her eyes at his touch, holding back the little whine that wanted to escape when he pulled away and walked in the direction of where their tent was set up.

"Way to fucking go, Ramirez," she muttered as she dug her foot in the ground. A throat cleared behind her and she turned, finding Shelby standing there with a pizza box in hand.

"Pizza for your thoughts?" the blonde offered. Mariana didn't even realize how hungry she was and she gratefully followed the Texan to one of the picnic benches. They both sat on the top of the table, watching as people slowly walked to tents and cots, the exhaustion of the day catching up with everyone.