Jaime Lannister X Reader - Hair, Body, Face

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Hair, Body, Face' by Lady Gaga, which is from the soundtrack of A Star Is Born. For this story, the reader was born with a limb difference, and I have tried very hard to portray this accurately, but feedback is always welcome. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had always been aware of the jokes people liked to make about you. When you had been a child, it was as if you had been the easiest target they could find; an innocent little thing who didn't understand that her differences could make people so cruel. The jokes hadn't bothered you at first. It had been nice to be included in something, even if it had to be at your expense. You had been so desperate for them to like you that you had smiled and laughed along politely, even when their comments would sting.

But soon enough, their creativity had run thin. The jokes had been repeated enough times that they had become tedious, wearing down the smiling sweetness until you had been unable to laugh them off. After that, you had decided to turn the tables. If they were going to make fun of your disability, then what was to stop you from picking at something that they were insecure about? The gap in their teeth that they feared made them appear common. The pure paleness of their skin that made them feel sickly. The fact that their chest hadn't quite grown enough to be deemed feminine. All physical things that you knew they hated about themselves. Things that would be easy to slip into conversation without being too obvious.

After that, the other women had stopped laughing in front of you, opting for doing it behind your back instead. In fact, you weren't sure whether you had made an error in judgement in lashing out, even if you were simply protecting your own feelings.

It shouldn't have bothered you. Not really. You had been born different, and that had been made abundantly clear from the moment you had understood it, but you had never changed anything about you. You still sewed, although the maester had needed to make a few gadgets to help you on your way. You had played with your brothers with no issue. Gods, you'd never had any problems with adapting life to fit you until you were old enough to enter high society. And then, the only thing holding you back seemed to be the will of the people around you.

The most painful reactions always seemed to come from men. They would be happy to flirt and compliment you, waxing poetic about how they thought you were the prettiest girl in the room. And then they would catch a glimpse of your arm, and it's like they forgot that they had ever intended on wooing you. It's not like you hid it from them either. You did nothing to change it's appearance, much preferring to wear your disability with pride to weed out the people who weren't worth your time. But they would splutter and go all wide eyed like they had never seen anything so unattractive, and off they would trot, back to their friends to laugh and tease.

It wasn't until a celebration in the capital that you finally had the chance to see the jokes shift to another recipient. You were leant against one of the barriers overlooking the Great Hall, your eyes roaming the crowd, when a voice had interrupted your thoughts.

"He and his brother make a real pair to look at now, don't they?" the first man had uttered, his voice laced with poison as he chuckled. "Tywin would be better off washing his hands of bother of them and focusing on Cersei."

The other man shook his head with a snort of laughter. "He looks a bit lost, don't you think?" he started, and you risked a glance in his direction, seeing the seedy smirk painting his lips, his eyes focused on a man in the crowd. "It's a shame, he used to know this place like the back of his hand."

The two men fell into peels of laughter, and you felt your stomach churn. You had heard the rumours about what had happened to Jaime Lannister. Seven Hells, it was hard to avoid information like that. You finally allowed your eyes to find him in the crowd, a small frown painting your lips as you made a rather brash decision. It was as much a surprise to yourself as it was to the people around you, when you suddenly pushed up off of the barrier, shoving your way towards the steps that led down to the lower level of the Great Hall. Jaime would need a friend, now more than ever, and no one had the experience with the cruelty of these sorts of crowds like you did.