Sandor Clegane X Stark!Reader - I Think I'm Okay

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'I Think I'm OKAY' by Machine Gun Kelly, YUNGBLUD, and Travis Barker. I hope you enjoy it. 

Someone had been stalking you from the very moment you had left King's Landing. Day after day, you had been made aware of the presence that lingered just out of your sight, hovering as it studied you. At first, you had attempted to convince yourself that it was nothing. There wasn't some ungodly figure hidden in the tree line, surveying your every move. You were just being paranoid. But then you'd heard him coughing, practically hacking up a lung in the middle of the night. So you'd gone about attempting to shake him. Travelling at unreasonable hours and leaving the marked paths in the hopes that you would no longer have an unwanted travel companion.

It wasn't until almost a week later that you had seen him properly, and recognised him immediately. Sandor Clegane had been hunting you for the best part of a fortnight, and he wasn't nearly as good at remaining anonymous as he seemed to think he was. You had settled by the fire that night, attempting to calm your racing heart. If Sandor was here, Joffrey would know where you were. 

You cleared your throat, lifting your head to stare into the spot in the tree line that you had found him hiding in. "You know," you started, your voice calling into the night. "You aren't nearly as stealthy as you think you are," you continued, releasing a sigh when there was no answer. "If you intend to hang around, you might as well stay warm. The further north we get the colder it'll be." 

It was then that he emerged from the shadows, looking what you could only describe as sheepish as he slowly approached the fire. "You shouldn't be travelling on your own." His gruff voice was almost comforting after so long of living in silence, and you felt your entire body relax slightly. 

"Well,I'm not nearly as alone as I thought I was," you uttered, drawing your knees closer to your body as you watched him across the fire. "Are you going to try to take me back?" 

You looked a little lost as you waited for his answer, curled in on yourself like a scared child. "No."

"Your King won't be very pleased to hear of your decision." 

Sandor snorted at your comment, finally settling himself on the ground, a few feet away from you. "He isn't my King," he told you, offering you a small half smile.

"Then why are you stalking me?" You fixed him with a firm glare, waiting as patiently as you could manage for his answer.

"You shouldn't be travelling on your own," he repeated softly, giving a small shrug. "Thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye on you."

Your brow furrowed as you watched him. "I don't need babysitting."

"I'm not a babysitter," he responded, raising one eyebrow at you as your mouth fell open, searching for some sort of smug retort. "I assumed you'd never travelled alone before, thought you might need some help, but you seem just fine."

"We used to go camping when we were kids, learnt all about surviving in the wild with Robb." You paused for a moment, offering him a small smile. "I didn't think I would ever actually need to do it, though." 

Sandor nodded, clearing his throat slightly. "Well, you've been doing pretty well."

"Have you been eating?" He watched as you rummaged around in your bag, bringing out a bundle and untying it to reveal a collection of food inside. "I've got enough to share," you added, finally glancing back up at him.

You reached out, patting the log beside you for him to come and sit with you. Sandor was quick to do as he was told, moving around the fire and taking the food you were holding out to him. "How'd you get all this?"

You snorted slightly, repackaging the food and tucking it into your bag. "Benefit of being labelled a traitor's daughter is that the only people that will talk to you are the maids, and they all have pretty good access to the kitchens." 

"They helped you get out?"

You glanced at him for a moment, as if considering how much you should tell him. "They had no idea I was leaving. They just thought I liked to eat a lot." You paused for a moment, shrugging. "No one knew... except you, I guess."

"I saw you leaving your chambers, didn't realise you were running until we were out of the Red Keep."

"I was tired of acting like I wasn't miserable. I mean, he killed my father in front of us and expected me to act like I was still this loyal little girl who would do whatever he told her." You swallowed around the lump in your throat. "If I had stayed I would have killed him, and then where would I be?" 

Sandor remained silent for a moment, watching you carefully. "Dead."

"Exactly." You released a deep sigh, shaking your head. "He's fucked up my entire life and I'm expected to just sit a smile and pretend it never happened. God, they even expected me to marry him and-and share his bed and give him children. How could I do that?" A sharp scoff escaped you as you tilted your head back to stare up at the cloud-filled sky. "I think I would rather have died than had to live like that."

There was a moment of silence between the two of you, and then you felt Sandor's hand touch your shoulder for just a second. "You did the right thing." 

You nodded your agreement, pressing your eyes closed as you breathed in the night air. "I know."

 Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x