Gregor Clegane X Baratheon!Reader - MEAN!

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song MEAN! by Madeline the Person. The reader is the daughter of Robert Baratheon and a wife he had before Cersei Lannister. I hope you all enjoy it. 

"If you aren't going to be capable of sitting properly as a princess should, you might as well just get out of the way and go back to your chambers. You're embarrassing yourself, slouching like that." There was always such a bite in Cersei's voice when she was talking to you. Of course, you had always understood that, as her stepdaughter, she had some distaste for your presence in the Capital. It made sense, really. Whenever you were around, comparisons could be drawn. You were always more like your father than her children were. Your mother had always been adored by the people in court, where Cersei struggled to gain favour. It was as if, just by existing, you were punishing her at every turn and she had quickly made it clear that she wasn't fond of being punished. 

"I was just looking for-"

"I don't care what you're doing, just stop it. You look ridiculous," she interrupted, the venom seeping out of her as she shot you a stern look. "Make your excuses to the King and go back to your chambers." 

You swallowed down the temptation to correct her. The King was your father; he had been your father before he'd ever become King in the first place. But arguing would only make things harder, that much you had learned from experience. You gathered yourself as elegantly as you could manage, giving her a soft smile and a nod before approaching your father at the middle of the table. 

"Sweetling," he hummed out, beaming up at you as you rested your hand on his shoulder. "Are you having fun, Child?" 

You hesitated for a moment, before fixing your smile. "It's nice to see the people enjoying themselves," you told him.

"Our people," he corrected, reaching up and patting your hand where it lingered on his shoulder. "Did you try the-"

"Can I be excused?" you interjected, feeling the lingering stares of the queen at your back. "The excitement is all a little too much for me," you pressed on. "I could do with an early night."

His brow furrowed when he shifted back in his seat to look at you properly. "Are you sure you're feeling alright, Sweetling? You aren't unwell?" 

You let out a soft, faux-chuckle, shaking your head at the suggestion. "I'm perfectly well, Father. Just tired." You squeezed his shoulder slightly, offering up a real smile. "I'll see you tomorrow? Tea in the gardens?" 

"When have I ever missed one of our teas, Child? You don't need to remind me." He shoved his chair back, causing it to scrape over the stone floors as he got to his feet, pulling you into a tight hug. "Get some rest," he murmured, giving you an extra hard squeeze before releasing you. 

"Goodnight," you hummed, taking a few steps towards the exit before his voice interrupted your thoughts.

"Clegane," he uttered, gesturing the guard over. "Make sure the Princess reaches her chambers safely. We can't have her wandering the halls all alone." 

The guard grunted, quickly falling into step beside you as you reached the doorway. "Princess," he uttered, pushing the door open for you and stepping aside to let you pass. 

"You really don't have to-"

"King's orders," he interrupted, watching as you hesitated for a moment before glancing back up to the head table, where Cersei was already watching you. You swallowed down the lump in your throat before giving in and hurrying through the open door with him hot on your tail. "Were you not having fun, Princess?"

You quickly glanced over at the guard, your brow furrowed slightly. Gregor Clegane wasn't known for being much of a talker. In fact, in all of the years that he'd been working as a guard in the Capital, you don't think he had ever said more than a couple of words to you.

"I'm tired," you uttered, turning your attention to the hallway ahead of you as you attempted to pick up the pace a little, all too aware that he would be able to keep up with you either way. 

"You didn't look tired," he murmured, mimicking your movements as you came to a complete halt, turning to face him with a startled glare painting your features. "You looked like you were enjoying yourself until the Queen-"

"I don't think it's any concern of yours how I look," you bit out, and then your shoulders had sunk, and your expression had softened. "Sorry," you murmured, shaking your head. "I just mean that appearances can be deceiving and just because I don't look tired, doesn't mean-"

"You know, my job means I end up a lot closer to your family than you seem to realise," he uttered, cutting off your train of thinking. "I hear things; things that aren't meant for other people's ears. It's not like I'm listening on purpose, but when I hear how she speaks to you, it's hard to ignore."

Your tongue darted out to wet your bottom lip and you shook your head. "She's the Queen," you started, a sad smile pulling at your lips as you shrugged. "She can speak however she pleases."

"But she's so mean to you," he told you, a deep frown spread across his face. "And from what I can tell, the only thing you've ever done to her is being born your father's daughter."

"You can't speak like that. You'll get me in trouble," you whispered, quickly reaching out and grabbing his arm. "You can't say anything to anyone else."

Gregor let out a soft grumble before nodding, his hand resting over the top of yours on his bicep. "I just need to know that you don't believe what she tells you," he started again, looking so concerned that it made your stomach flip. "The things she says about you, they aren't true."

"I don't take it to heart; not really," you told him, offering up a half-smile for him. "It used to hurt when I was younger, but now it just makes me feel sorry for her. She can't be happy unless she's hurting other people." You paused for a moment, your eyes lingering on his concerned expression. "You should've seen the way she would look at me when she made me cry when I was a child. It was like she thought she was winning but I didn't even know I was competing with her. I can't imagine being that hateful." 

"That's because you aren't like her," he murmured. "You're kind and good, and-" his words trailed off into nothing. "You're nothing like her."

A real smile pulled at your lips at his comment. "That is possibly the nicest thing anyone had ever said about me," you chuckled, gesturing for him to follow you as you started walking towards your chambers at a leisurely pace. 

"I don't believe that for a second," he snorted, shaking his head. "You're a princess and a beautiful one at that. You must hear nicer things than that every day."

"No," you hummed. "The people saying those things don't mean them, not really, they just want to gain favour. But you actually mean the things you say to me. It's refreshing." You opened your mouth as if you were going to say something else but hesitated, pausing with a small smile on your face. "I like hearing you say them." 

"Well," he murmured, pausing as you reached your chamber doors. "I like saying them."

You stayed quiet as you unlatched and opened the door, smiling to yourself. "Thank you for walking me back," you told him, leaning up against the doorframe to look at him. "I'm sure I'll see you around the Red Keep soon-"

"I think you should ask your father to make me your guard," he interrupted. "I mean, if you wanted that," he added softly, looking completely out of his element as he shuffled on the spot in the middle of the hallway. 

"Full time?" you murmured, your head tilting to the side as you watched him.

"Full time," he confirmed. "That way I can always be there to tell you all the nice things I think about you."

You caught your bottom lip between your teeth as you smiled at him. "I'll speak to him tomorrow."

A smile blossomed across his face as the words registered and he gave you a quick nod. "Goodnight, Princess." 

"Goodnight, Clegane."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x