Sandor Clegane X Stark!Reader - My Life

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'My Life' by Billy Joel. I hope you enjoy it.

You took a deep breath as you looked up at the gates of Winterfell. It had been years since you had set foot in the North, let alone coming back to your family home, and all of a sudden it seemed overwhelming. So much had changed, but your siblings were inside, and you would have to get over whatever anxiety was holding you back if you wanted to see them again. 

You took in another deep breath, glancing over at Sandor for a moment. "You doin' okay?" You forced a small smile, nodding until you saw him raise an eyebrow at you. 

"I'll be fine," you murmured, closing the space between you and leaning into his warmth. "Just give me a minute," you continued, feeling him shift to wrap his arms around you, placing a kiss to the top of your head.

When you had left King's Landing with Sandor, you hadn't expected to fall in love with him. He was a travel companion, and a bristly one at that, but living in such close proximity to one another had broken down the walls he had been fighting to put up for years. One thing had led to another, and now you couldn't imagine being with anyone else. 

"You know, the last time I was here my mother and father were still alive," you uttered, feeling his arms tighten around you even further; a silent comfort. "And Robb and Rickon," you paused for a moment. "It's not going to feel right walking in there when half of them won't be there to greet me."

Sandor leaned back slightly, glancing down into your face. Your brows were furrowed as you considered how different your world had become. Concern had etched itself into every feature. His hand lifted, touching you face gently. You would never have thought he could be so tender from looking at him, but with you he always had been. 

"We don't have to stay," he murmured, watching as some of the tension instantly left your body. "Give it a couple of days and if you're ready to go we'll make our excuses."

You nodded, releasing a deep breath.

*Time Skip*

You had only been in Winterfell for a day and Sansa was already describing the lives you were going to have from now on. High teas, and feasts, and celebrations. Name days, and Weddings. It was all far too much, far too soon, and you felt your stomach turning over. It didn't help that she had practically begged you to spend time with her without Sandor, leaving you utterly out of your comfort zone. 

"I don't want that," you finally managed to utter, drawing her concerned gaze to you as you shook your head. "I can't go back to living like we did before everything happened," you added.

Sansa let out a light scoff, rolling her eyes at your comment. "Come now," she started, her voice light and airy as it had been when you were children. "It's not like I'm asking you to forget it happened."

"I don't want to pretend I'm fine anymore."

"Well, there isn't exactly anywhere else to go," she murmured, pursing her lips as she watched you. 

You swallowed around the lump in your throat. "Sandor and I were planning on heading to Clegane's Keep. Apparently, now that Gregor's gone Sandor becomes Lord Clegane."

Sansa looked a little startled, her eyes wider and her lips parted. "But-"

"I don't need you to try and convince me it isn't the right decision," you interrupted,  a small frown painting your lips. 

She gave a short nod, releasing a soft sigh as she attempted to calm herself. "So," she started, her tongue darting out to wet her lips. "You and Sandor, huh?"

A chuckle burst out of your lips at that, watching as a Sansa began to smile. "Yeah, I wasn't expecting it either."

"He's nice." Sansa paused for a moment before nodding. "But I won't have you running about with him if he doesn't intend to marry you."

"Sansa-"

"I'm not saying it has to happen right away, but it would put my mind at ease if you were at least betrothed."

"Sansa, Sandor and I are already married," you told her, watching as her face morphed into one of pure shock. "He told me he wouldn't take my maidenhead unless we were married, and so we had a small ceremony in one of the villages we were travelling through." 

She remained completely still for a moment. "So, you're Lady Clegane now?" You nodded. "And you and your husband are going to go and live at his home?" 

You nodded again. "I know this is a lot to process-"

"I'm really happy for you." The room fell silent for a moment as Sansa smiled at you causing you to release a deep breath you hadn't realised you were holding. 

You reached out, taking her hand in yours and giving it a light squeeze. "Thank you."

 Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x