"Other Half"

tw // mentions of death

If you're uncomfortable, you are free to skip this chapter.

---

I remember the first time we faced each other.

"Hello! I'm Sujin! What's your name?" You acted all giddy. We were just in primary school that time.

I was hesitating to answer. Knowing myself, I'm the type who is extremely shy around strangers. I won't even talk if I want to.

"Hello~ Are you okay?" You asked, still all hyped up.

But still, I wasn't answering you. I swear it was the most dumb decision I made, but I'm thankful you didn't give up on talking to me.

"Hmm. I guess not.." You then muttered and started to walk away. But then you looked back and smiled.

"Here, this is one of my favorite earring my mom gave me, but I lost its pair. My mom won't be mad I promise. Lets be friends okay?" You gave me the other half of your earring while chuckling then ran toward your mom for it was already time to go home.

I stared at the earring, and a warm smile slowly crept on my face.

---

"Hello again!!" You happily greeted as you chose to sit right next to me during our class. "Do you remember me from yesterday?" You asked.

I shyly nodded. I still can't help to think why I was this shy when it comes to new people, but I guess its really for me.

"Wow! Great! Were friends right?" You giggled, and I just nodded again in response. "Yay! Can I ask you your name again?"

"I'm... Jihoon .." I replied.

"Jihoon!! My new best friend!! Jihoon and Sujin!!" You yelled and then chuckled.

I just laughed your reaction. And at the moment I said my name, was the time I was slowly opening myself to you.

Of course, I was still quiet in the first few weeks, but then I really opened my walls to you, in which I didn't regret even just a single bit.

"Hahahahahah!! Your face!" I laughed at you, who accidentally tripped over had the ice cream all over your face.

"Oh come on! Really?!" You sighed in frustration.

I just chuckled at you and went closer. "Come, let me help you," I spoke and helped you stand up.

"Thanks Jihoon," You smiled, and even with those ice cream all over your face, I can't deny that you are the most beautiful person Iv'e ever met, inside and out.

And as years go by, I can feel myself slowly falling for you.

"Hello? Sujin? Where are you?" I spoke over the phone. We were already at college that time and I was waiting for you at the gates to go home together, but I was already waiting for you for an hour, so I called you. I was so worried.

"Hello? Jihoon?"

"Sujin, where are you? I'm waiting here at the gates," I said, but then you suddenly went silent. "Hey, are you still there? I'm getting worried," I added, fiddling my own hair.

"Jihoon.. I'm sorry," You suddenly apologized, making me confused.

"What are you talking about? Where are you Sujin?" I asked again, nervousness growing inside my body.

"Umm... I'm sorry for making you wait. I'm at the hospital right now. There was an emergency so I had to go first." You explained with uneasiness lacing your voice.

"Should I go there?"

"No need, everything fine now... Get home safely okay?"

"Oh, okay.. Just call me if you need me, okay?"

And there where times when you are having a hard time.

"Jihoon..." You weakly said and buried your face on my shoulder. And not long, I can feel my clothes getting wet. You were crying. You don't know how it breaks my heart seeing you cry.

I hugged you, trying to comfort you . "It's going to be alright. Let's always fight together okay?" I said.

"Thank you Jihoon.. I wouldn't be able to handle this without you."

That was when your mom was diagnosed with a disease. I told you that we would fight altogether, and we did, for your mother. For the mother of the person I love.

And here I am, standing in front of your name carved in a stone, surrounded by flowers.

"Hi Sujin. It's been 3 years." I smiled.

"How is it up there? Is it pretty? Peaceful? I miss you so much." My voice started to crack, as memories rushed into my mind.

"Remember when I told you that we will fight together?" I paused for a bit, trying to calm myself down. "Yeah we did for your mother, and we were really glad. She survived... but you didn't. I thought we would fight together?" I said, tears welling up in my eyes. "But why did you fight alone? Why didn't you tell me you were already suffering?" I laughed, even though tears were already streaming down my face.

"I guess it's on the genes? That you got the disease your mom also got. But the difference is..." I stopped, unable to say it out loud. I calmed myself down before continuing.

"While we were fighting for auntie you were getting the symptoms... why didn't you tell me? Is it because you don't want me to get hurt? I understand.. but at the same time, I don't. Funny right?"

I grabbed something dangling in my neck, a necklace... with the earring that was turned into a pendant. "Look at this Sujin, the earring you gave me when we were in primary school. You may think that I already threw this away since it was useless." I chuckled. "I actually kept this and made it a pendant. Even though it's just an other half of an earring, I would treasure this forever. You gave me this to make me your friend, and I'm very glad you did. You said you lost the another half, but your mom actually found it. I also made it into a necklace. And of course, its yours. You are my other half, Sujin." I smiled warmly. "I'm so proud of you. I guess you are up there with no problems and health issues, no need to suffer anymore. Look after me and your mom okay?" I laughed.

"Sujin, always remember that I love you."