Chapter 14: Downhill

"Dad!" I bellowed as Rayna Cruz plunged the white oak dagger into his heart. "No! No! Ahhh!"

Rayna was smiling maniacally and she ran to where Kai was tied up, grabbed her sword and plunged it into Kai's heart.

Two of the most, if not the most, important people in my life were now on the ground dead, right in front of me.

"This is all your fault, Natalia! You brought this on your self!" She said throwing her last dagger straight at my heart.

I woke up abruptly, panting. My shirt was drenched in sweat and I was un able to catch may breath.

"It's not real, it was just a nightmare!" I kept repeating to myself in an effort to calm myself down. I looked over at the clock that read 1:07 am. Not again! Great now I won't be able to fall asleep.

"Natalia? Is everything alright?" A half asleep Daphne asked from her bed.

"Yeah, no worries, just a strange dream,"

"Alright," And she fell back on to her pillow.

I plopped my head back onto my pillow, just staring at the ceiling. That nightmare felt so real. My heart was still thumping roughly in my chest. God, why wont these nightmares end? I sat up again and looked around my dorm. That's it, I have to tell someone about this. Maybe Kai? No, 'Talia it's 1 am he's probably asleep. Dad? I'd have to write him a letter. Blaise and Draco? I don't want to wake them. Suddenly a name popped in my head; Marco. Ha! No, I cant talk to him, I'm not supposed to. I looked around the dorm again, this time my eyes landed on a journal sitting on the desk. It was an empty journal I was supposed to be writing in for Hope but I havent had the motivation to write. An idea popped into my head. I got up as quietly as possible and grabbed a blanket from my bed. I put on my slippers and walked over to the desk. I took a quill, the journal and walked over to my night table. I needed a blood bag. I grabbed one and locked up the cabinet again.

Once I reached the common room I made my way over to the couch tiptoeing. I don't want to wake the portraits or the Bloody Baron. He can be pretty cranky. I lit up the lamp on the side table to the lowest brightness and opened up the journal.

Sep, 28th 1994:

Dear Marco,

Another stupid sleepless night. I remember when times were a lot easier and I would just be able to walk to your house if I couldn't sleep, after all you were my neighbor. I still hate the way I left things between us and our friends. Jersey was such a happy time in my life and all I wish to do is go back to it, to you. I know that I cant send you this letter without breaking my dad's rules or compromising my own safety. But for my own sanity, I will write these letters to you even though you will never read them. You were my best friend and I knew I could tell you anything. I did tell you everything. I still remember that night at the soccer field when you asked me to turn you into a vampire. You said: "Turn me, 'Lia! We can live together forever, I will never leave your side!" And in the end I was the one who left you.

I miss you Marco! Everyday! I honestly regret not listening to you. Maybe things would've worked out differently if we had ran away together. We would be in Italy right now, by the shore sipping mimosas instead of here, apart from each other.

I love you Marco Rossi, I always will.

Writing that helped me calm down, just how Marco used to. He was always there for me whenever I had a panic attack or when I couldn't sleep. I would crawl out of my window and knock on his window and he already knew what was wrong, he would set up his bed for me and he would set up a bed for himself on the floor. We would spend the entire night talking about everything and nothing at the same time. It really helped because it was a time in my life where I didn't have my dad or my sister to help me. He helped me.