Dean

After a heated make out session on Scottie’s bed in her dorm room, we made the executive decision that it was time to drive back to Chicago. Finding out that Scottie wanted to be a general manager for a hockey team wasn’t really that surprising to me. If there was any woman who could be a GM in the NHL, it was Scottie. She grew up around the organization, and she really pays attention to everything that goes on behind the scenes. I loved watching her talk about it because her face lit up. I could tell that she was really passionate of pursuing this dream of hers, and for many reasons, I can see it happening.

                  Once we packed Scottie’s things into my car, we started our short drive back to the city. The entire way our hands were always interlocked in between our seats. We talked about everything from our family, childhoods, teenage years, hockey, lacrosse, our hopes and dreams, and even what the future might have in store of the both us, together. The only time we weren’t touching is when Scottie got into a heated story of when Milan Lucic laid her brother, Derrick into the boards, and Brandon Bollig came up a second later and knocked Lucic out. Scottie is one of those people who like to talk and tell stories with her hands. She was sitting sideway in her seat, facing me, and she was acting out what exactly happened, and when. I couldn’t help but smile and how into it she got. I had to remember to keep my eyes on the highway and not watch her the whole time.

                  “So, you played the first game of season, but how you feeling about the first home game? Nervous?” Scottie situated herself in her seat, sitting indian style and playing with the fingers on my right hand.

                  “I guess. The only nerve-wrecking part is that the game is at home and there is more pressure to do well. Who knows, I may not even get to play that much. Last night was weird, in that I played a shit ton. It just isn’t common for newbies to play that much in the beginning of the regular season.” I stared at the road, contemplating about my position on the team.

                  “Don’t worry. You’ll play just as much tomorrow. And last night wasn’t weird. You got to play so much because you are good, and you and Nikolai are easily starting to become one of our best D pairings. I mean, Duncan and Brent are definitely still top line, and then you have Nik and Johnny who are almost better than Duncs and Seabs. But I mean, when it comes to those random pairings that change almost every shift, like Roszival, Runblad, and others, its nice to have a younger D pairing that is still fresh, and you and Nikolai are tough. You guys aren’t afraid to mix it up and go for those hard checks. You guys are just dependable because you work together well. Just like how Duncs and Seabs, and Nik and Oduya work well together, you and Nikolai are right up there.” Scottie finished her spiel, and I laughed. She looked at me quizzically.

                  “You are going to make one hell of a general manager one day.” I quickly leaned over to kiss her cheek.

                  “That’s the plan.” Scottie smiled at me.

                  “Speaking of plan. Do we have one tonight? Like, do we want to go out to dinner, or go to your house, or go to my apartment? Or are you tired of me by now? We’re about five minutes away from the UC, so we are pretty close to either one of our places.” I pulled off the highway and started driving through the busy city.

                  “My mom made lasagna, so Derrick is definitely over. Do you want to come join the Brown family for dinner? Dad and Derrick will probably be talking hockey, so you’d fit right in.”

                  I agreed to dinner, so we made our way to Scottie’s house. I parked behind Derrick’s car in the driveway, got out, and quickly made my way to open Scottie’s door. I got her bag out of my trunk and we walked hand in hand to the front door. When we got in, Scottie was immediately enveloped into a hug from her mother. Mrs. Brown then hugged me and welcomed me into her home.

                  “Dean. You joining us from dinner?” I heard Coach from the TV room and turned to see him and Derrick sitting there watching a hockey game.

                  “If that is alright with you, Coach, or Sir?” I wasn’t quite sure what to call him in this setting. Normally, when I come over to Scottie’s house, he is still at the rink finishing up business. Both Coach and Derrick erupted with laughter.

                  “Dean, you’re dating my daughter now. I know you’re a good kid, and I know that if anything goes wrong things will be fine; I have a whole hockey team to defend my daughter’s honor. When you are over at my house as Scottie’s boyfriend, you can call me whatever the hell you want; Sir, Coach, and Mr. Brown, hell, even Tom is okay. Just as long as you know that on the ice, I am Coach. I had a similar conversation with Derrick when he became a Blackhawk.” Coach got up from his chair, and made his way to the kitchen on they way patting me on the back.

                  Scottie and Derrick both laughed at how stiff I had become while getting lectured by my coach and girlfriend’s father. I exhaled and plopped on the couch next to Derrick. I looked between Scottie sitting where he father just was, and Derrick next to me.

                  “Your father is a piece of work.” I chuckled as they laughed even more.