Dean

“Hey! Goldie, how you doin’, ya little shit?” Andrew Shaw just walked in to the trainers’ room the morning of our game against Minnesota. I was sitting on one of the beds hanging out until we had to get ready for our morning skate.

                  “Not too bad, Shawzy. How are you doin’?” I tried to dodge Andrew’s punches that he flung at me, but sadly I got one right in stomach. I looked behind Andrew and saw the camera crew behind him recording our exchange. I was starting to get used to them, but I still didn’t like it all that much.

                  “Pretty damn good. I’m ready for tonight. I have a feeling its going to be a good game.” Andrew and I sat there across from each other.

                  “Yeah, I think so too.” I wasn’t quite sure how to carry on the conversation, but I knew Shawzy had some shit to say.

                  “Hey, man, how’s Scottie? You two okay? I’m just checking in. She’s on break now right?”

                  “Yeah, we’re good. She has about three weeks off, so we’ll get to spend some time together. It’ll be fun.” I got nervous talking about Scottie and me in front of the cameras, but I went along with it.

                  “That’s good. We should get ready.” Andrew hopped off the trainer’s bed and made his way to the locker room. I agreed and followed behind him.

                  Morning skate went well. Most everyone was there, so we got some good practice in. Coach said I would be starting with Duncan Keith, which was pretty cool, told me. The two of us don’t play together often during games, but when we do, I think we perform well together. It’s just for starting, so it’ll probably change at some point tonight.

                  After practice, the media asked a few of us a couple questions. I was asked a few questions about the game tonight, and what not, nothing about Scottie. I packed all of my things, and got in my car to get Scottie from her house. The only hitch was that the cameras were following me around all day today. In the car, I was asked a few questions about Scottie and me.

                  “Yeah, she showed me the ropes while I was new here, and we just got along well. I guess we just sort of started hanging out as friends, and it evolved from there. We’ve been dating for about five months now, I think. So, it hasn’t been too long, but it has been really great.”

                  I parked in Scottie’s driveway, and got up to go knock on the door. When she opened the door, I was greeted by her amazingly sweet smile. I couldn’t help but wrap her in a hug and kiss her. I quickly backed off though, and as she gave me a puzzled look, I motioned to the car where the camera crew was waiting for us. Scottie grabbed my head and led us to my car.

                  “Yippee.” Scottie said sarcastically. I laughed a little as I held the car door open for her. The camera crew was all squashed in the backseat of my small car.

                  “Okay, guys. We’re just going to ask you a few questions, and then you all can just go about your normal business, like we aren’t even her.” One of the crew explained to us what was going down.

                  “Ask away.” I said as I grabbed Scottie’s hand and rested our hands on the center consol.

                  “Does your relationship affect the team in any way?” One of the guys asked.

                  “No, our relationship doesn’t really affect anything.” I replied.

                  “Yeah, I mean the team is all really protective of me, so it was interesting in the beginning, but they all knew the two of liked each other.” Scottie chimed in.

                  “But really, it’s just like any other relationship that you see on a hockey team. I mean I’m not the only Blackhawk in a relationship. I just so happen to be dating the coach’s daughter. Other than that small little fact, we don’t really think about.” I finished the conversation.

                  “So, where we getting food at? I’m hungry.” Scottie looked at me as we entered into the city.

                  “I don’t know. You want pizza?” I knew Scottie wasn’t a fan of pizza, but I always asked if she wanted to get some. However, I laughed as Scottie scrunched her nose at my suggestion.

                  “Well then, what do you want?” I parked in one of the parking garages, and looked at her.

                  Scottie smiled at me, and I immediately knew what she wanted. At the same time, we both said, “Potbelly.”

                  “Yes!” I laughed as Scottie almost jumped out of the car. I followed behind her, and we walked hand in hand down to Potbelly. I almost forgot we hand cameras following us until we stepped out into the streets and people started staring at us.

                  We got stopped a few times with people asking for not only my autograph, but also Scottie’s. It was awesome to see all the girls rush up to her, and start hugging her. Scottie is an inspiration to young girls because she is such a big fixture in the hockey world. Scottie shows girls that they really can achieve things. It’s amazing, and though Scottie is very shy, I can tell she gets a sense of accomplishment when these girls fawn over her.

                  We got into Potbelly, ordered, and sat down to eat and talk. The camera crew kind of backed off, and by that I mean they just weren’t sitting at the same table as us. They were a few tables over, but still filming everything. It makes think if they ever have a break to eat or even go pee. They are always filming. Scottie and I just went about our lunch, and talked about tonight’s game.

“So you ready for tonight’s game?” Scottie asked as she ate her sandwich.

“Yeah. Now that the season has really started to get going, I don’t feel like a newbie anymore.” I replied.

“Good.” Scottie glanced at the camera crew, “You think they can hear everything we say?” She asked me.

“I don’t know. Let’s see. Can you hear us?” I asked at a normal volume, and then looked at the crew. The nodded back to us. I focused back on Scottie and mouthed some bad words to her, which made her laugh.

I looked down at my watch and noticed the time, “Hey, we should start heading back. I want to rest before the game.” I gathered all of our trash and threw it away. I held the door open for Scottie, and she took my hand as we walked to the car.

“You going home?” She asked, and I nodded in reply, “Can I come with you? Nothing special, just hanging out.” Scottie looked up at me.

“I would love that.” I smiled at her and kissed her forehead, “We just have to get rid of these guys.” I whispered in her ear.

And as if right on cue, “Hey, so I think we got enough footage of you two for today. Thanks for letting us tag along. Don’t worry, we won’t put anything in the next episode that would upset anybody.” One of the camera guys said to us, the crew then hoped into a waiting car that took them to their hotel.

I looked back at Scottie, and she was already smiling, “Finally!” She said. We laughed, and got into the car to head to my place.