Scottie

“Scottie! Hi, what are your thoughts on this year’s team?”

                  “Well, not much has changed since last year except that they brought up some players from Rockford. I’m confident that the team will do well this year. They are still pretty hyped after the Cup win.”

                  “Scottie! Over here! Speaking of players from Rockford, they brought up Dean Gould. What are your thoughts on him?”

                  Here we go, “He’s a great defensemen. I’ve had the opportunity to watch him during practice and he fits in really well. The team accepted him right away.”

                  “It seems you’ve accepted him also.”

                  “I’m sorry. Is there a question there?”

                  “You and Mr. Gould have started a relationship recently, no?”

                  “Yes we have.”

                  “Care to comment?”

                  “Dean already commented, and I have nothing further to add. Any more questions?”

                  “Yes, Scottie! Do you think the fact that the Blackhawks lost in the final round of playoff before the Cups game will have any impact on the team this year?”

                  “If by impact you mean that the guys are going to come this year even harder and ready to fight tooth an nail to get back that position they were in earlier in the year, then yes, losing that game will have an impact on the team. It will impact the team and organization in the best way possible. Thank you for your questions, I hope you all enjoy the game.”

                  I stepped down from the stage, expecting to see Dean waiting for me, but my mother greeted me. I hope the disappointment on my face didn’t show too much.

                  “Good job, sweetie.” Mom kissed the top of my head as we hugged.

                  “Thanks, mom. Uh, where’s Dean?” We left the media room and started walking around the UC. It was nice to walk around the stadium when the corridors weren’t packed with people.

                  “He had to go change and get ready for the game. He told me to tell you, you did a great job answering the questions, and that,” my mom cleared her throat a little and her face got a little reddish, “that…he…that he likes you…a lot. Now, I don’t know what that’s about. You two must have some kind of secret communication or something because not a lot of couple just say ‘I like you a lot’ to each other on a regular basis, but its not my place.”

                  I laughed at my mom’s confusion into how Dean and I communicate with each other. It is a little different but it works for us. We both know we like each other a lot, but we aren’t quite to that ‘I love you’ stage yet, so Dean started telling me he just really likes me a lot. It sort of became a thing between us.

                  “Thanks, mom. I’m going to stop in the locker room before the game starts, so I will see Dean before they take the ice, probably won’t talk to him, but that’s okay. I’m also meeting Emmi back there, so I have to go get her. She came here with Brandon after they got lunch today.”

                  “Okay, Scot. Well, I’ll see you after the game!”

                  We hugged goodbye and I sped off to the locker room. It was about five pm, so the other team was starting to arrive. I passed the Buffalo Sabers walking to the locker room, and I internally had a panic attack when I saw Marcus Foligno because he is so good looking. I reached the Blackhawks locker room, and pushed the door open.

                  When I walked in, it was so silent you could hear a pin drop. Everyone was tapping their sticks, lacing up their skates, or adjusting their pads. I always loved these moments because everyone was so serious, but once I stepped in the room the all looked up to me to make them crack a smile or laugh.

                  “I’m sorry. What’d you say, Crow?” I cupped my hand around my ear and leaned forward, “I couldn’t hear you over all the talking that is going on.” Corey Crawford smirked at me. “Seriously, though, guys. Lighten up. You all are acting like Captain Serious over here, but times one hundred.” Jonathan Toews let out a small laugh and smiled at me.

                  “Scottie, it’s opening night. We all want to do well.” Marion Hossa spoke up.

                  “There’s pressure to do well. First home game. Everyone expects us to do well.” Johnny Oduya spoke next.

                  “Well yeah! Everyone wants you to win! I want you to win! But you can’t put so much pressure on yourselves. Damn, just go out there and play.” I turned around and started to the door, and with that I smiled and walked out, with everyone staring at me. I like to keep it short and sweet, and just try to make them smile and lighten the moos. I know I made them all smile. It’s what I do best.

                  As the door closed behind me, I saw Dad and the rest of the coaching staff walking towards me.

                  “Break the ice?” Dad stopped outside the door.

                  “Yeah, but they’re being hard themselves.”

                  Dad nodded and walked into the locker room.

                  “Oh my god, Scottie!” I whipped my head around to see Emmi running towards me like a little kid in a candy shop.

                  “What?!” I laughed at Emmi’s expression.

                  “I just passed the Sabers, and I saw Marcus Foligno, and oh my goodness, he is so attractive. Like, holy shit, bro.” Emmi took breath and fanned herself with her hand. We both started laughing hysterically. We walked to our seats in the arena arm in arm. I couldn’t stop smiling because I had a feeling tonight was going to be a good night.