Scottie

This winter break has probably been the best I’ve ever had. I got to spend it watching hockey, hanging out with my boyfriend, and spending time with my family. I wish it could go on forever, but I have one more week left until I have to go back to school. It’s not like I’m going to be far away, or that I won’t be coming home almost every weekend, but lacrosse will be starting up too, and that’s going to take priority.

                  It was New Year’s Eve day, and I had just gotten to D.C. with Emmi and my mom. We got here the same time as the team, but we flew separate from them. We were heading over to the stadium for the Blackhawks practice and family skate. It’s one of my most favorite times of the year when the team is a part of these games. Dad let me be on the ice for practice, so I was just skating around and helping out on some drills.

                  After practice, the team played a short game with the wounded veterans hockey team. It was awesome getting to be on the ice as the game was happening. One of the things I love about the organization is when they do things like this. It warms my heart. When the game was over, they all took a picture together, and then it was time for the family skate. I went over to meet Emmi, who was having a hard time lacing up her skates.

                  “God dammit. You’d think I’d know how to do this by now!” Emmi threw her laces down and huffed. She looked up me un-amused as I was laughing at her. Before I could step up to help her, Brandon swooped in behind me and got down on his knees to lace up her skates.

                  “Oh, my knight in shining armor.” Emmi said sarcastically, but I knew she totally loved how Brandon rushed to help her.

                  My mom said hi as she walked past me, Derrick was there waiting for her and he helped her onto the ice. Them two and my dad skated around together. I felt that I should join them, so I skated up behind them and placed my hands on my dad’s back to propel him forward. He definitely was not expecting that.

                  “Oh shit!” He yelled as he caught his balance, “Damn, Scottie. You really got me there!” Dad laughed. The four of us skated around the ice for a while. Derrick and I were of course making up little competitions for us, and I of course won them all.

                  “I’m done. You’re cheating.” Derrick sulked back over to skate next to my mom.

                  “Aw, my poor baby. Is your little sister no playing fair?” My mom joked with him.

                  “Okay, I’m leaving you guys. My family hates me.” We all laughed as Derrick skated off.

                  “I’m going to go find Dean.” I stated.

                  I found him across the ice with Nikolai. I started skated up behind him fast, to try and scare him. Right before I could get to him, Dean turned around and let me skate right into his arms with speed.

                  “Trying to scare me, huh? I don’t think so.” Dean laughed.

                  “How’d you even know I was coming up? I was so stealthy.” I questioned.

                  “I saw you start over there, and then Nik told me when you got closer.” Dean explained.

                  I glanced at Nik and gave him a soft punch, “Damn, you. You foiled my plan!”

                  “Hey, don’t bring me into this.” Nik put his hands up in defense. He skated away and joined his other teammates.

                  Dean and I skated around for the rest of our time on the ice. We had our normal conversations, which consist of nonsense, and things people would probably looked at us weird for if they heard us. This one of the many reasons I love him. We can to each other so easily, about anything under the sun.

                  After the skate, we all went back to our hotel and relaxed the rest of the day. Cameras were still following us around, but today and tomorrow would be the last time.

*Game Day*

                  It was the start of the third period. The game was tied at two. Emmi and I were screaming so loud for our seats. It was a real mish mash of chaos. Neither team was really playing to their full potential. The sun made it hard for the guys to see everything, but they working with what they got.

                  With only about two minutes left in the game, Jon got the most ridiculous penalty called on him. He was visibly pissed, as was I. He went into the box and the game resumed. Then with only about a minute left in the game, Troy Brouwer scored on the power play. The Blackhawks didn’t have enough time to push the game into overtime, so the Capitals ended up winning. No team likes to lose, but the experience was a great one.

                  After the game, Emmi and I made our way to the locker room. We had the option to take a golf cart, but we wanted to walk. I passed my dad coming out of the locker room, so I stopped him to talk.

                  “Is everything okay?” I asked him.

                  “Yeah, the last call on Jon was just complete shit, so people are little upset about that. And our powerplays weren’t spot on today either, but you girls can wait for them out here and I don’t think they would ignore you.” Dad replied to me.

                  Emmi and I waited outside the locker room for Dean and Brandon to walk out. Every so often a member would walk out of the doors. I didn’t initiate any conversation, but a few of them would say hi to us. Derrick walked out with Nikolai, and they waved at us. All the guys were making their way to the bus to go back to the hotel. Emmi and I just wanted see the guys before they left. Dean and Brandon walked out together, and they spotted us right away.

                  The four of us started walking towards each other. Dean and I hugged, and almost forgot about Emmi and Brandon. We are all in our own little worlds.

                  “How you doing?” I asked Dean.

                  “Good. I don’t think the team is too heartbroken. I mean it sucks, but it was a fun experience.” Dean answered as we walked to the bus, hand in hand.

                  “I’m sure it was awesome for you. It was your first time doing this whole thing.” I smiled up at him.

                  “Yeah! It was crazy. I hope I can be involved in more of these.” He smiled back.

                  “Okay, well I’ll see later.” Dean and I kissed goodbye outside of the bus.

                  “Love you, Scott.” He said before getting on the bus.

                  “Love you, too.” I said back.