Scottie

Practice started 30 minutes ago, and Dean is nowhere to be seen. I asked the guys where he was and they all said the same thing. He was the last one to walk out of the locker room, and they don't know what happened after that. We were in the middle of a fast break drill when I saw Dean walk on to the bench out of the corner of my eye. I wasn't in the drill, so I watched the exchange between him and my dad, and tried to catch as much as I could. 

"Where the hell have you been?"

"Sorry, I bumped into-had to help her-won't happen again."

"Better not-sit this drill out-maybe play in the next-don't take tardies lightly-skate over-just hang out."

Dean skated into the ice, and next to me. He didn't look very happy, but that probably had something to do with the conversation with my dad. 

"Hey, where you been?" I tried to be as casual as possible.

"I bumped into one of the figure skaters, she hurt her leg, so I helped her to trainer’s office. She's fine, just probably a bruise." I don't know if it was the ice or his attitude, but it got pretty chilly in the rink.

"Oh that sucks. Well, I'm guessing dad isn't letting you get in this drill?"

"Nope. And maybe not the next one either." 

"Yeah, just try not to be late next time." I bumped his shoulder with mine, and smiled up at him. I could see the smile on his lips, but his eyes were showing something different. Anger? Hurt?

"Don't worry, I won't be late ever again. But, uh, I don't think we can do anything today." 

"Oh, okay. Well some other time.” He smiled and said thank you. With that, I was off to play in the drill. I was the breaker, so I started at the top of the rink with the puck, and Duncan and Brent are the defenders. I start by easily skating the puck to the middle line, and they started to crash in on me. I quickly picked which side I think is their weakest, has to be outside. I chose Seab's left side. I switch the puck to the outside of my stick, dodge around the wall, and wind up a shot from the blue line, and it probably only went in due to the fact it was an empty net. 

"Jeezus, Scott that was killer!" Seabrook skates over and shakes my head.

"Thanks." I laughed and skated over to where I had left Dean, minutes ago. 

"That was good." He bumped his shoulder with mine, and when I looked at him he was smiling down to the ice. 

"Thanks." I bumped him back, and our eyes met. The previous look in eyes had softened, and he flashed me with the toothy grin. 

"So, hockey really isn’t your thing? Like, you don’t wanna do it professionally or anything?" 

"I guess. I mean, I’m playing division one lacrosse right now. I’m killing it, and the U.S. is practically begging me to try out this year. I could’ve last year, but it conflicted with the beginning of the playoffs, so much to my family, and the entire team’s, chagrin I chose hockey over U.S. lacrosse. So, I’m going for it this year, and hopefully something will happen. I’ve never been on a hockey team. I think just being able to practice with the team here is enough for me. I love hockey and all, but lacrosse is my thing. And I just gave you, like, my life story. Sorry.” I nervously laughed, quickly avoiding Dean’s stare.

"No,” Dean laughed and dipped his head to get me to look at him again, “I get it. The guys talked about how good at lacrosse you are the other day. I’d love to see you play sometime. See if you’re all you’re cracked up to be.” He playfully punched me on the side as we laughed with each other.

"Well, the whole team makes it a point to try and come to all my games. Not kidding, they will caravan the whole thirty minutes to come watch me play. It’s their way of making up for me coming to all of their games. So, I’m sure you’ll see me play at least once.” I smiled at Dean before skated backwards to join the drill again.

We continued practice for another hour. Afterwards, I dropped Derrick off at his house then drive home. Dad was already there talking to mom in the kitchen when I walked in. 

"Hey, Scottie, how are you sweetie?" 

"I'm good, mom. Makin’ lunch?" 

"Yes, just some sandwhiches." 

"Thanks.” I start eating a sandwich

I ran up the stairs and into my bedroom. I immediately tore off my t-shirt and threw it in the hamper. I took my phone, plugged it into my dock, and turned on my music. First thing to come up was Buddy Holly. I could never turn down a good Buddy Holly jam sesh. I started thinking about Dean, and why he was late. The way he explained himself made me think there was more to it. I hopped in the shower, still thinking about Dean.