Dean

I had gotten to the arena early to try and clear my head and get in the zone. I spent the rest of the afternoon pissed off, and yes, crying. I didn’t want to break up with Scottie, but I felt like it was what I had to do. I spent days contemplating the options, and I came to the conclusion that breaking up was the best decision for us.

                  The look on Scottie’s face when I told her was heart wrenching. She practically ran away from and left as much space as possible between. I broke her heart. I knew it. I broke another girl’s heart, but this time I was truly in love with the girl. I loved Scottie with every fiber of my being, and now I feel as though I made the worst decision ever, and I probably will never be able to fix it. Scottie hates me.

                  I was strapping on my pads when I felt someone come up behind me. I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I tensed up.

                  “I just want you to know that I’m pissed the fuck off with you right now. I probably will be for a very long time. I just spent the last few hours consoling my heart broken sister. Lucky for you, I can be a big boy, and I have decided to not hold it against you on the ice. Nor will I tell anyone else on the team, including coach, what you did. She’s here tonight, and I would appreciate it if you do not look at her, speak to her, or even think about her.” Derrick whispered in my ear. It was honestly the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. Before I could turn around and face him, he was gone. He was already getting ready for warm-ups.

                  Brandon showed up and because our lockers are next to each other, and we have become pretty close, he greeted me. Before I said hello back, I blurted out, “I broke up with Scottie.” Brandon had known what I had been thinking about, and although he was not happy with it, he respected my choices.

                  “Aw man. That didn’t go well, I’m sure.” Brandon said as he started changing.

                  “No, and now I think I really fucked it up.” I said, sitting on my bench, “I shouldn’t have done it. I should have tried to work it out with her. But man, I fucked up.”

                  “I don’t know what to tell you. Sorry.” Brandon said, siting next to me to lace up his skates.

                  “Yeah, I know, Brandon. Thanks anyway. Just don’t mention it to anyone. No one knows in here but you and Derrick.” I said.

                  “Got it.” Brandon said, making the motion like he was zipping his lips, which made us both laugh a bit.

                  The team headed out on the ice for warm-ups, and I immediately started searching the crowed for a kid to a puck to. Brad Richards skated up next me when I stretching on the ice, and just point behind us. I turned my head a bit, and I saw a glimpse of a small human wearing a jersey that I think said Gould on the back. I had never seen my jersey in the crowd before, so I shot up to get a better look. Sure enough, there was a boy right on the glass, looking to be about ten, wearing my jersey in red. I couldn’t help but smile.

                  I skated to goal, and flipped up a puck and caught it in my glove. The kids back was to me but his dad saw me skating towards them, and he motioned for his kid to turn around. The kid did, and I smiled and wave at him. When I got to the glass I quickly showed him the puck and then tossed it over. His face was pure and joy, and it really made my night to see him. He said thank and but I also said thank you. Getting to see my jersey on a fan for the first time was a great thing.

                  We ended up losing five to two. I’ll be the first to admit my head was not in the game. I caught a glimpse of Scottie during the second period up in the box, and I was gone. I was focused as I could be on the ice, but it was not enough. We have to start winning games if we want to end up in the play-offs.