Dean

Scottie left us at the women's locker room, so it was just Derrick and I. Great. 

"So when you gonna ask her out?"

"Huh, what?" I looked at him in the eyes, trying to make my confusion believable. 

"Don't play dumb with me. When are you gonna ask my baby sister out?" 

"Okay I just have a few things to say. Does it not bother you? And what about your dad? He's gotta have a say in all this? I just don't want to mess up and then get in trouble with any of you. I like her, I do! I just don't wanna mess it up." These were all things I was constantly weighing out in my head. I had just met the girl, but I couldn't stop thinking about her. 

"Okay, yeah, if you hurt her, we will all hurt you. My dad might trade you, he doesn't joke when it comes to his baby girl. And she may never speak to you again. But at least give it a try! I hear you guys are going out after practice? Try to make it more like a date. Buy her lunch, be nice to her, and make her feel special. We all know you like each other, so do something about it." 

"Dude, I hate the fact that you’re right. Not gonna lie, I really like Scottie. I just met her, but still, she makes me nervous every time I look at her-"

Derrick cut me off, "as much as I want to help you out, she's still my baby sister, so I don't want to her any lovey dovey shit about the two of you. That's just creepy." We started to laugh as we walked in the locker room. Majority of the team was they’re putting their pads on.

I set my stuff down, and started to change. The guys and I all made small talk, and one by one, they all started trickling out of the locker room. I was the last one out, but when I opened the door I hit something or someone.

"Oh! Sorry, I-"

"Dean Gould." The voice was very familiar and it sent shiver down my spine. Not the good kind. 

"Hannah Parker?" The infamous Hannah Parker. We go way back, and I never thought I'd see her again. Especially in Chicago of all places. She's from my hometown in Canada. We were next-door neighbors, went to school together until college, dated all through high school, and it did not end well. I wanted to break things off; she wanted to keep them going. Even if we did, it never would've worked. I was going to Notre Dame in Indiana; she was going to some school in California. How she ended up in Chicago, I have no fucking clue. 

"Wh-what are you doing here?" I just stared at her with wide eyes. 

"I skate here. What about you?" Of course she was still figure skating, but then again, of course I'm still playing hockey. 

"My team practices here." Her eyes grew even wider and darker than before. Not much has changed since senior year. Every time she gets angry or frustrated, her eyes get dark.

"Wait a minute. You actually made it into the NHL? And on the Blackhawks, none the less?" I didn't understand if she was surprised I could make it, or if she was surprised we ended up in the same city. 

"What's that supposed to mean? Still don't think I'm any good?"

"No, Dean," Hannah ran her hear over the top her head, being gentle enough not to mess up her prefect little bun, "I know your good. I just didn't think you'd make it to the NHL so quick." 

"Well what are you doing in Chicago? I though you went to school somewhere in California?"

"Hah, still don't know the name. And yes, I did go there, briefly." Yeah, I didn't know the name of her school 2 years ago, don't know it now. I don't know why that bothers her so much.

"So, I ask again, why are you in Chicago?" I knew I had to get to practice, but I also needed to know why she was here. 

"Better training. The coach my mom got is better, and she's based out of this rink. I decided to pull out of school, and focus on skating. Maybe make it big." 

"Well, good for you. I have to go to practice now." I turned and started to walk away, but Hannah grabbed my arm to stop me. The touch immediately made me cringe, nothing like how Scottie made me feel just by looking at me. 

"Wait, um, maybe we can get together sometime?" Her eyes softened to a pleading gaze. I was over Hannah. I had been since I left for college. We had a nice, typical high school relationship, but it's over and done with. I don't see what she's trying to gain by hanging out with me. I know here, and she isn't looking for a friendship. 

"I don't think so Hannah. I got to go." I walked away before Hannah could say anything else. I knew I was going to be late to practice, but at this point, I didn't care. I'll just explain it to Coach.