Dean

After practice I rushed out of the arena. I didn't want to talk to the guys, or run into Hannah again. I got in my car, and drove home. I can't believe Hannah is here. Of all places we could run into each other, it's Chicago. I stopped by a sandwich shop to get some lunch. It was around 1:30, and I was starving. I felt bad about calling off plans with Scottie, but I couldn't do anything until I thought this Hannah thing through. 

It's by no means, a big deal; I just keep remembering how badly we ended it. She begged and pleaded on her bedroom floor. I explained to her that we could never make it work; yet she wanted to try. She said she loved me and would do anything for me. It was that moment that I realized I didn't feel the same. I thought I had loved this girl for 3 years, but Hannah was only a high school fling, it wasn't going to go anywhere. I told her how I felt, and that made her cry even more. I left her there, she texted and called, but I ignored her. The last thing I said was, "Hannah, I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm sorry, but you need to let me go. This is furthest we can go.” And that was that. Right when I walked into my apartment, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and my heart skipped a beat. Scottie was calling me. I hit answer and said hello.

“So, are you gonna tell me the real reason you were late to practice? I mean, I don’t think you would lie to me, er, my dad. You don’t seem like the lieing type. I just, I feel like there is more to it. If you don’t want to tell me, okay, I just thought we were becoming good friends, and friends tell each other things. So, yeah. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to, but this is just bothering me, and I like to know things. Sorry, I’m rambling. " I chuckled a bit at Scottie. How her brain works, and how she get on these kicks about things, and just go on and on, its one of the great things about her. The only question is, should tell her the whole story? I wonder if she knew Hannah. I like Scottie, a lot. I think I should tell her, but not over the phone. 

"Are you busy right now?" I need to talk to her.

"Uh, no? Why?" 

"I'm gonna come pick you up. I need to talk some things through with you." Damn. That sounded harsh. 

"Uh okay?" I could tell she was confused, but oh well. I've decided to lay everything out on the table to her. 

Scottie have me her address, and I was on my way to her house before I knew it. She actually lived pretty close to me, about a 5-minute drive. When I parked in her driveway, I decided to be a gentleman, and go up to her door. I knocked then stepped back and waited. The door opened, and woman was standing before me. She looked exactly like Scottie, but with a few more wrinkles around her eyes. She had the same dark brown hair, just shorter. Scottie’s hair went to her mid back, but this woman's cut off at her shoulders. She had the same big green eyes too. 

"Hello? May I help you?" Her voice was just as soft and sweet as Scottie's.

"Uh yes, hello, you must be Mrs. Brown. Dean Gould," I held my hand out to shake hers, and she politely obliged, "I'm here for Scottie." 

"Ah, yes, Dean. I've heard about you," she smiled. Did Scottie talk about me? "From my husband." Dang. 

"Well I hope it's all good." We laughed, and I saw Coach round the corner.

"Hey Gould. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Um, I’m actually here to see Scottie," and at that moment I saw her walk down the stairs. Her hair was falling over her shoulders. She was wearing a pair of dark jean shorts, and a Northwestern lacrosse T-shirt. She may not have been really trying, but Scottie could make any type of clothing look good.

"Hey Dean. Let's go." She said bye to her parents and walked by me out the door. I said goodbye, and followed her. I sped up to beat her to the passenger door, and opened it for her. She gave me a little smile, then sat down in the seat. I shut the door and made my way to the driver’s side. When I got in, I started up the car. 

"So, where you taking me, New Guy?" She looked at me with that smile that makes me forget my thoughts. 

"I'm not sure. Just somewhere we can talk?" I smiled at her unsurely. 

"I know where we could go."

She gave me directions, and we ended up at a park a few blocks from her house. I parked the car, hopped out, and walked to Scottie's door to open it for her. 

"Thank you kind sir." Scottie smiled up at me as she got out. I followed her over to a picnic table and say down across from her. 

"So what's up?" 

Where do I even begin? Okay, this can't be that hard. Just go for it. 

"Okay. I'm just going to be completely honest with you," I stared into her eyes, trying to read her emotions, "I like you, a whole lot, like a stupid a lot. I don't know how it happened so fast, but I think the first time I saw you, I knew I at least wanted to be your friend. Then, just hearing someone talk about you would send shivers down my spine. Every time you smile at me, I forget thing."

I paused and searched her eyes again. They were soft, and sweet. I wanted her to say something, but I didn't think she was going to.

"The real reason I was late today is because I ran into someone I know from home. Someone I didn't think I'd ever see again. Her name is Hannah," her face tensed at the mention of her name, "you know her."

"Uh, yeah, I know her. We don't like each other." 

"Oh. Okay. Well, we dated all through high school, and it did not end well. I broke things off before I left for Notre Dame, but she was convinced we could make things work. I pretty much left her a mess in her bedroom. But I did so because I knew there would be no future between us. Yeah, we could've tried to make it work, but it would've ended pretty quickly. Anyway, seeing her today was just weird. Of all places, I didn't think she'd be in Chicago. And then before I left for practice, she grabbed me by the arm and asked if we could get together sometime. I immediately knew when she touched my arm, all the feelings I thought were true in high school, were complete shit. It all didn't mean a thing. The feeling of her hand on my arm was nothing compared to when you bump your shoulder with mine. It was almost like my future flashed before my eyes in that moment, and in that future, I saw you. Not just at practices, but really there. Does this make sense at all? What I’m trying to say is, I want to date you.” We both laughed at my choice of words, and I shook my head at my stupidity.

I smiled at her, waiting for her response. Scottie was smiling right back at me. I reached for her hand and held it. She parted her lips, ready to speak.

"So you're saying you like me." Her green eyes got lighter and the smile remained on her face. 

"Yes, Scottie. I like you. A lot." I wanted to smile back, but I couldn't until she said what I’ve been hoping to hear. 

"Well, Dean, I must say," she looked down at our entwined hands, and flipped my hand over, palm up, and she started tracing the callouses on my skin, "I like you too. A lot." She looked back up at me, and presented me with a big, toothy grin. I couldn’t help the laugh that escaped through my lips. I don’t think I’ve ever been happier.

"Scotland Brown, will you do me the honor, of being my girlfriend?" We smiled at each other and Scottie laughed. 

"Yes." I stood up from the bench and walked over to her. I made her stand up, and I took her face in my hands. 

"Scottie, I'm going to kiss you now." She nodded and I took that as my cue. I leaned in, staring into hers. My gaze shifted to her lips. I met her lips with mine, and I felt a surge of heat flow through me. Scottie placed her hands on my sides, but shifted them up to my neck. Her hands pulled my head closer to us, which made our kiss intensify. We split apart, and I rested my forehead on hers. 

"You ready to see where this goes?" I asked her without looking at her face. 

"I was born ready, Dean."