you were romeo, throwing pebbles

Ricky had to admit, community service wasn't that bad. It was basically babysitting a bunch of rowdy elementary schoolers and helping them do their homework.

"Hey, tall guy with curly hair! How do you add 8+2?" A small girl yelled.

"Um, let's see, you have 8 ponies. If you have 2 more ponies, how many does that make?"

        "Ew, I don't like ponies!"

Another kid bounced up and down on the table. Ricky wondered if he would fall.

        He rubbed his head. "On second thought, this is the worst punishment my parents have ever given me."

        "Hey," a voice next to him said. It was Nini. "Having trouble with the kids?"

         Ricky grinned. "Yeah. Why are you here? Did you also get punished?"

         "No, I'm here because I volunteer after school."

         "How can you even keep these kids in one place? I can't get them to sit still."

"Watch and learn," Nini winked. She clapped her hands loudly. "Who wants to hear a story?"

Immediately, everyone sat in a neat circle. "Since Valentine's Day is this weekend, I'm going to tell you a story, written by one of the most famous playwrights in world history. Romeo and Juliet, a tale of star-crossed lovers."

A few of the girls looked up in interest. Some of the boys made faces. Most of the kids just sat still in their spots.

"Can you act it out for us?" a kid yelled from the back of the circle.

Nini smiled. "Sure. Today, my good friend Richard will be helping me."

She sent a wink to Ricky and beckoned him to join her on the small stage.

"Once upon a time, in the city of Verona, Italy, there were two families. They hated each other immensely and couldn't even stand being in the same room as each other. The Montagues and the Capulets, sworn enemies for life. They got into battles and duels all the time, which made the townspeople angry."

All the kids in the audience were entranced, as if under the spell of the story.

"The Capulets were hosting a ball, and they invited everyone in the town except the Montagues. The patriarch of the family wanted to marry off his daughter Juliet to the wealthy and noble Count Paris. They wanted fame and respect in Verona."

"Meanwhile, the Montagues' son, Romeo, was in love with the Capulets' niece, Rosalind, but she didn't love him back. His cousins Mercutio and Benvolio convinced him to crash the Capulets' party to get his mind off of Rosalind."

"Juliet was dancing with Count Paris, and she rather disliked him due to his boastfulness and boorishness. He wanted to marry her, but she didn't agree. Juliet wanted to marry for true love, not power."

The two teens acted out the scenario onstage, much to the delight of the audience. A lot of the parents who came to pick up their children had also stopped by to watch.

"When Romeo caught Juliet's eye, he fell in love. Never before have I seen true beauty until this night," Ricky imitated.

"When they danced together, they didn't know who the other was. They didn't know that their families were mortal enemies."

"Unfortunately, they found out real soon. Still, they were in love. They wanted to run away, but the evil cousin Tybalt found out. He challenged Romeo to a duel, in which he was killed. Romeo was exiled from Verona until his friend Friar Laurence snuck him back in. Juliet also found out that she was to be married to Count Paris. Friar Laurence gave Juliet a potion to pretend that she was killed."

Gasps came from the audience.

"She got a casket and everyone believed she was dead. The news reached Romeo, who ran to be with her. When he saw that she was dead, he killed himself. He gave her one last kiss before commiting suicide."

As Nini and Ricky acted out that part, some people made gross noises. Some looked on eagerly, while some looked away.

"Why didn't he check for a heartbeat?" Someone yelled from the crowd.

"It was the 14th century, and that method was not yet invented. When Juliet woke up, she found that Romeo was dead. She killed herself with his sword because she'd rather be with him in heaven than on earth without him. Then, the parents agreed to make up from their feud because they were heartbroken."

The small play ended, and everyone applauded loudly. "Brava, brava!" an Italian accent rang out.

Nini and Ricky bowed. "Thank you, thank you."

When everyone had went home, the two sat on the steps. "It's crazy to think that we're kind of like that, huh?" Nini asked quietly. "I mean, our parents are enemies, we met at a costume ball, and we're both forbidden to see each other."

Ricky nodded. "You have a way with kids," he commented.

"I don't know where it came from," Nini admitted. "I've never had any siblings, and all my cousins are grown up. Maybe it's because I actually want to have a family one day with kids and all that."

Ricky nodded. "People see me as a bad boy who gets in trouble a lot, but sometimes I'm just a normal 18-year-old who loves to watch musicals and settle down to have a family someday."

       Nini paused before answering. "Have you ever heard of the phrase, 'head over heels in love'?"

       "Yeah, why?"

       "I think I'm head over heels in love with you, Bowen."

       He smashed her lips to his.

       "I think I'm head over heels for you, Princess."

       Their make out session was cut short by Gina. "Um, sorry to bother you, lovebirds, but I have some news. You guys are needed in a meeting. A very important meeting."

       The two looked at each other, worried. "What's it about?" Ricky asked shakily.

      "It's about you guys. And your parents. Come on, let's go. They've got some important matters to discuss."

      Nini and Ricky grasped each other's hands and followed Gina home. This didn't sound good.