bop to the top

Plot: Nini goes head-to-head with her academic rival in a singing competition, and it's a battle to who will bop to the top.

If anyone in East High knew anything about Ricky or Nini, it was that they were the most talented up-and-coming musicians there. However, those two hated each other. They couldn't stand being in the same room as each other without making a snarky comment. This week was especially terrible for the teachers. The singing competition was coming up, and those two would be at each other's necks.

Nini was carrying a stack of books and texting as she headed down the hallway. She fumbled with the phone and dropped the stack of books. "Here, let me help with that," a voice said. Immediately, they bonked heads.

The girl looked up and saw a curly-haired head. "Well, if it isn't Richard Bowen."

Ricky looked up and he immediately wished he hadn't. "Sal-Robs! To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"First of all, don't call me that. Next, I'm totally going to kick your butt in that competition next week."

Ricky smirked. "Oh yeah? Not if I kick yours first."

Nini rolled her eyes. Ricky and she had been academic rivals since the third-grade science fair. They were supposed to be working together as a team, but both their stubborn personalities caused them to break off into their own projects.

Nini regained her composure. "Deal. Loser has to...tell the winner praises for a month."

Ricky grimaced. "Deal." He shook her hand.

If asked, he'd never admit it, but he might have harbored slight romantic affections toward her. Ricky admired her pluck and determination. She was a girl that never made a fool of herself in front of him, unlike all the other girls in the eleventh grade. They always flirted mindlessly with him, but he wasn't interested.

At home, Nini warmed up her voice and plinked the keys of the piano. She needed to practice as much as she could before the performance. The most important thing to her wouldn't be the applause or the large trophy, even though those things would be cool. It was the look on Ricky's face. She couldn't wait to see his shocked face when she won. Then he'd have to sing praises about her for a month. Nini grinned to herself.

She practiced "Amazing Grace" for a warmup. It was one of the first songs she'd learned, and it'd always have a special place in her heart.

To win the competition, you had to enter an original song. The theme was: love song.

Nini hadn't ever experienced this feeling before, but she just wrote about it because she felt like it. According to her, the best way to survive heartbreak was getting in your car and driving through the suburbs.

After the practice, Nini began to sing. Her voice filled the room and unknowingly drifted into the ears of her neighbor, Ricky.

"I got my driver's license last week,
Just like we always talked about,
Cause you were so excited for me,
To finally drive up to your house.
But today I drove through the suburbs,
Crying cause you weren't around."

Unbeknownst to her, Ricky was on his way home from the skate park and happened to hear her singing. He peeked inside her house and listened to that angelic voice. He knew it was snooping and a violation of privacy, but he couldn't help himself.

"You're probably with that blonde girl,
Who always made me doubt,
She's so much older than me,
She's everything I'm insecure about.
Yeah, today I drove through the suburbs,
Cause how could I ever love someone else?
I know we weren't perfect but I've never felt this way, for no one.
I just can't imagine how you could be so okay,
Now that I'm gone.
Guess you didn't mean what you wrote in that song about me,
Cause you said forever now I drive alone past your street."