goodbyes and phone calls

Yesterday you told me that you wanna be alone
I could hear the distance in your voice over the phone

"Hey, Neens," Ricky said. "What's up?"

"Nothing much," she replied faintly. There was a distance in her voice that could clearly be heard over the phone.

"Should I come over? You know, watch a movie or make some brownies?"

"It's just...never mind, I need some space," Nini said.

"Alright. Love you."

She switched off the phone without another word.

You don't say I love you back
Or let your feelings show
You used to be so good at that
But now I never know

"Nini, why have you been blowing me off lately? You haven't been answering my phone calls or texts, you didn't meet me at the movies, and you've been looking past me in the halls every day at school. Please, just tell me what's going on."

"Please," his voice cracked.

I wish you would hold me
I wish you could tell me how you feel
I want you to show me
If anything left in this is real
Cause maybe I'm afraid to see you dancing on your own...

Why? He just wanted to talk to her, except every time she passed him, she'd hurry away like he was some type of repellent.

Was this even real, getting back together with Nini? Or was it all just a dream that he didn't wake up from?

Midnight drives in your old sweatshirts
Never felt so cold
And I still hear the stupid songs you showed me
Everywhere I go

Nini didn't know how to tell him. He would be devastated if she'd told him that she'd be leaving.

She tossed on an old sweatshirt of Ricky's, grabbed her keys, and drove through town, now equipped with her driver's license. Even though it was midnight, she didn't care. Songs played in her head, those stupid songs that Ricky had written for her. She even found herself humming it aloud.

"After all is said and done, I can't just pretend I'm moving on,
Is it just the part we're playing?
Cuz it don't feel like we're faking?"

She shivered and hugged herself. When Ricky had been teaching her to drive, his sweatshirts always felt so cozy. Now she'd never felt more cold. Or alone.

I can taste the hesitation running from your lips
I feel it breaking in my bones
We can't end like this

Were they breaking apart? No, Ricky panicked. They'd just gotten back together for not even a month.

Still, she avoided every phone call and message he sent. He wondered if this was the end.

One day, Ricky knew why.

"Hey, Ricky!" Kourtney said, strolling up to him in the halls.

"Okay, should I be scared?" he asked, holding his hands up in defense. "I swear that I've been treating Nini, right, promise."

"No, it ain't that," Kourtney said. "Have you heard the news? Nini got accepted into the Conservatory in Denver."

"No, she hasn't told me yet," Ricky said, confused. "But why? This is a huge opportunity for her. It's always been her dream-"

All of the pieces in the puzzle suddenly clicked in his brain. Nini had purposely been avoiding him because she was scared to tell him. She was afraid of hurting him.

"I'm sorry, I've got to go," Ricky said, dashing off.

He finally caught up to Nini. "Wait! Please!"

Nini kept walking. "I know about the conservatory!"

She spun around on her heel.

"Look, Kourtney told me. I know that you're scared of hurting me, but you should go after your dreams! I'd rather you leave for two years than have you stay and make me feel guilty for holding you back. I'll always love you, no matter what."

Nini's mouth was in an O. "Dammit, Kourtney!" she muttered under her breath.

"Thanks for understanding, Ricky," she said, kissing him passionately. "So you don't mind?"

"I'll miss you every day, mon amour. I won't forget about you. It's because I love you so much that I'm willing to let you go."

Nini rested her head on Ricky's shoulder, both of them staring off into the distance. "Let's try to spend as much time together as possible before I leave."

"Way ahead of ya," Ricky grinned. "Twenty scoops ice cream tower? Eating a whole pizza in two hours? Building the biggest sandcastle ever?"

"Oh, you're on!" Nini laughed.

𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 | rini & jolivia oneshots On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara