i'll always have you.

The summer before fifth grade, Nini Salazar-Roberts paced her living room nervously while biting her lip.

Her best friend, Ricky Bowen, raised an eyebrow. "Are you okay, Nini?"

"No!" she exclaimed. "My butt is bleeding. My moms say it's a part of growing up and becoming a woman, but next thing ya know, my eyeballs are gonna bleed, then my legs are going to bleed, and then I'm gonna die from blood loss!"

She grabbed Ricky's shoulders violently. "I'M GONNA DIE HERE!"

"Maybe watching that horror movie in the dark last week wasn't the best idea," Ricky muttered.

"Look, it's okay," he said, trying to calm down Nini. "It happens to all of us. Over the summer, I've changed too. My butt isn't bleeding, but my voice has gotten deeper, see?"

Nini stopped for a moment. Ricky did grow a lot over the summer.

"But you're not gonna die! I am! From excessive blood loss like that guy was in the movie when the girl stabbed him!"

"Nini, I promise, you will not die."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise."

Between the two of them, a pinky promise was like "ring power" for Maya and Riley. It was powerful.

Ricky hugged Nini tight. "I promise, you won't die."

Neither one wanted to let go.

Soon, Ricky did find out what that was called. He always kept a few extra pads and makeup wipes in the back of his locker, just in case.

This was what I thought would happen to me. I base a lot of my stories on real-life experiences.