we're bound to break

In which she's able to give every tale a happy ending—except her own.

—————
Nini

Ever since I was just a little girl, I've been rewriting stories. Not just any stories, the ones that end all of a sudden or just oh-so-tragically. It's my way of escaping the brutal reality since I can just disappear into my mind and...write.

I think that every story deserves a happy ending. The classics: Romeo and Juliet, Titanic, Into the Woods, La La Land...the list could go on and on. There are over twenty full notebooks of mine, the pages filled with the possibility of a happier and satisfying grand finale.

The last one I worked on is a modern-day version of Romeo and Juliet (where he is NOT a pedophile, and the language conforms with the 21st century, thank you very much. Shakespeare was messed up.) Sure, dying for each other is hopelessly romantic, but I'm thinking of what may have been between them. They could've run away to France, ditch their titles, live a peaceful and quiet existence away from the clutches of their families, then grow up and grow old together.

For a while, I had my fairytale romance, too. I should've known early on that it was too good to be true; those kinds of things only happen in the novels. Maybe I was just delusional and it was simply a case of adolescent love that finished like all the others.

"Nini, you can't live in that fantasy world of yours forever, someday you've got to face this world that we are living in," my boyfriend of two years, Ricky, said. "What are a million dreams going to do now, they're not going to save us from getting evicted or me getting my job back."

"I can write," I suggested. "I can take my stories to a publisher's, we can pay the rent for the apartment, and when we get enough money, we can buy an actual house! Maybe one overlooking a hill, we can put some flowers on the porch-"

"Save it," he exclaimed. "Just stop with all that nonsense about happily ever afters. Don't you see, Nini, this is reality! It's nothing like those delusional fairytales. it's where dreams come to die! Look at where we are now, can you consider this happy?"

I scoffed. "You sound just like my moms and everyone I've met before. Honestly, I thought you were on my side."

"They have a point," he said, grabbing his bag and tossing his belongings inside. Only then I really started to believe what was happening.

"Well...this is the end. This...is it. So this is really goodbye."

"Yeah." He pressed his lips together in a tight line, nodding. "Goodbye, Nini, and good luck."

That night, I sat at my desk, holding the pen in my hand, but no words came out, just tears falling onto the paper. What was the point of writing happy endings when I couldn't even have mine?

After all, I could only rewrite stories, not the stars.

-----

Am I back? Yes. Expect lots of mini angst-shots in the future.

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep dreaming.

-V