upstate with me for the summer

In which Olivia Rodrigo, the hotelier's daughter, can't stop disagreeing with her coworker. Soon, it turns into an all-out prank war. Humor and fluff because I felt like it. Enjoy!!!

——————————————

Olivia

Hi! Welcome to the Midsummer Hotel. I'm Olivia Rodrigo, the bellboy, (girl, in my case) the receptionist, the breakfast server, the chef, and the room service person. To sum it up, I'm a multitasker. I've been doing all of that before I even learned how to talk. My parents told me that I knew how to flip pancakes like a pro when I was two. It may be true or just a myth, but back to the point.

If you want to know the etymology behind the name, my great-grandpappy Jimmy (as I call him) moved here in the middle of July. This hotel has been in our family for over a hundred years when he traveled westward to California. He found a nice place to start a hotel, and then met my great-grandma. They fell in love, had a bunch of kids, and every one of them grew up here. Their kids soon had kids, and their kids had their grandkids, and their grandkids had their great-grandkids. I still believe Jimmy's ghost resides somewhere in the hotel, keeping a lookout over things.

When I turn eighteen, my parents will pass on the hotel to me. It's bizarre to think; me, taking full charge of the Midsummer. Of course, my parents will have to weigh in on the more important decisions. They said that when I have kids someday, I'm going to pass it down to them. It's a never-ending cycle.

I'm only sixteen now, so I still have two more years. It's not like I don't already have control over some parts of the hotel: I pick the music and the weekly breakfast menus, plus the kid-friendly movie that plays in the lobby while the guests wait. Knowing me, I'm always going to blast Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, or Lorde over the speakers. There are others, but those are the main artists that people hear. Sometimes, I'll even dance down the hall like a crazy lunatic when something catchy comes on.

I work with a lot of people, but my best friends are Ethan and Madison. They're step-siblings and also my siblings from another mother. Their mom helped my parents meet each other in high school, so I have them to thank for being the reason why I exist. We've been friends since we were all just babies in strollers and our moms took us to the yoga and swimming club at the Lake Street Community Center. I don't think I can imagine my life without them because they've always been there in every situation. My first birthday, the time I fell into the pool and got a concussion for two weeks...always. However, this isn't the story of my friendship with the Wacker-Hus, although it's a wonderful tale. This is the story of how I fell in love with someone who was my mortal enemy.

——————————————————————————

It was the beginning of June, the start of summer. It was also one of the Midsummer's biggest times for guests since tourists are traveling from all over to LA. It's probably for the tours or the July 4th parade with the rooftop view, which is amazing.

When I went inside after being soaked at the pool, I didn't see Madi or Ethan at the front desk. Instead, there was an unfamiliar, curly-haired boy who was typing something up onto the computer.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "Where's Madi and Ethan?"

He turned to me, and I could see a smirk forming on his lips. "Well, well, well, if it isn't the famous Olivia Rodrigo. I've heard a lot about you, Princess."

"I think you're sitting in my spot," I told him.

"It's not your spot, it belongs to the hotel."

Before I could make a witty comeback, my mom walked in. "Oh, I see you've met Joshua. You two should get to know each other for a little bit."

I turned to her. "Why aren't Ethan and Madi here?"