you broke me first

"Hey, Liv!" Josh said, walking over to her. "Whatcha doing later?"

"Oh, not much," she replied. "Since season 1 ended, I don't really have that much on my plate."

"Well, I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date with me?"

Olivia's turned so fast her braids whipped around her face. "Yeah, sure!"

"Great! Tonight, 6:00 PM, a surprise date! Also, dress fancy. Thanks so much!" Josh gave her his nicest grin and headed out.

Olivia kept herself from squealing. Instead, she put her best friend, Madison Hu on FaceTime.

"Guess what! Josh asked me on a date!"

"You go, girl! Happy to see you're doing well after the Ethan breakup."

They chatted for a while before Madi had to go eat dinner. Olivia jumped into her closet and picked out her favorite outfit.

"This looks first date-worthy."

She snapped a picture and captioned it, First date-worthy? Love lots, Liv. 🦋🦋🦋

Soon, Josh picked her up in his car. He'd worn a suit, not his normal T-shirt and jeans.

"Hello, madamoiselle."

He gently kissed her hand, which made Olivia giggle like a schoolgirl. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere."

Olivia grew impatient and curious. "Where?" she asked forcefully.

"If I told you, then it wouldn't be a surprise," Josh chuckled as he took control of the aux cord. "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel came on.

"Uptown girl, you know I can't afford to buy her pearls, but maybe someday when my ship comes in, she'll understand what kind of guy I've been, and then I'll win!"

The two teens burst into song in the car.

Soon, the song had ended, and another one had started, but not before the GPS announced that they'd reached their destination.

"You use the GPS?" Olivia asked.

"It's not a sign of weakness," Josh said. "I haven't been here in a long time, so my memory's a little rusty."

Olivia stared up in awe at the large hall. "Ballroom dancing?"

"Oui," Josh said. "It took forever to get a reservation."

They walked out of the car and went inside the hall, where Olivia couldn't stop staring. This place might've definitely cost him a few bucks.

Large crystal chandeliers hung, and music played from inside a heavy curtain-draped room.

"Joshua Bassett and Olivia Rodrigo, please," Josh said to the receptionist.

"Have fun in there, y'all!" the receptionist waved with a heavy Southern accent.

Olivia waved back and entered the room, looking around. Her eyes couldn't stop wandering. Partners swayed to the music on the dance floor, and people wearing suits were flitting around, carrying a tray of particularly tasty-looking deserts.

"So this is why you told me to dress fancy?"

"Yep."

A waiter came over to them. "Sparkling lemonade? Chocolate cake? Pastry?"

"Ooh, don't mind if I do!" Olivia said, taking a few from the platter. "Thank you!"

The man bowed before heading off.

"Wow, they are REALLY fancy here."

Joshua gave her one of his charming grins and held out his hand. "Shall we?"

Olivia took it and curtsied. "Lead the way, Monsieur."

She was surprised to find out that he was a decent dancer. While they were slow dancing as Ricky and Nini, he'd kept stepping on her toes the whole time.

Suddenly, "So Close" from Enchanted began to play.

"This is one of my favorite songs," Olivia said. "I remember how I used to dance to this with the broom in the shed."

Josh chuckled. "Would you prefer me or the broom?"

"You, definitely you," Olivia said seriously. "Although the broom was very obedient."

Josh chuckled again and pressed a quick kiss to Olivia's forehead. They moved around the dance floor, feeling at home in each other's arms.

Later that night when they were both tuckered out, Josh and Liv sat in the car, holding hands.

"I wish it could always be like this," Olivia said, biting into the mini pastries that she'd grabbed earlier.

"Maybe it will be," Josh said, and the next thing startled the hell out of her.

"Forever. You and me, truly and forever."

"You promise?"

"You have my word," he said. "Till you're 18."

"I can only dream about the day I'm 18," Olivia said, stretching her arms. "I've still got two years to go."

"And I sincerely promise, Olivia Isabel Rodrigo, that I will wait for you. Those two years will pass by like the wind."

"You really mean it?"

Her heart melted at his smile. "I really do."

They leaned in for a long kiss in the middle and started to drive home into the sunset.

Promises are as good as none if you don't live up to it. They're just empty, hollow words.

Clearly she knew now, after driving through the suburbs while crying to all of their memories.

"Cause you said forever, now I drive alone past your street."