i swear that i'll be around

Plot: Growing up, Ricky Bowen wasn't one to get attached to something or someone easily. He lived in an ignorant household, where his parents fought all the time and never paid him any attention. In ten years, he's isolated himself from the rest of the world, but when he meets the brown-eyed beauty with a broken past, they might find love in each other.

Inspired by "Dear Cheri," by lilipution15 and @joshs_franklin's Oneshot chapter, "toxic."

It may contain some language, abusive relationships, and suicide, if you are uncomfortable with these topics, please skip this chapter.

Modern-day Titanic.

Love.

It was a word Ricky'd never heard or known of.

His parents didn't say it to each other, since they'd been fighting ever since he was born.

He never knew what it really meant.

So it would make sense that as a 28-year-old living in a small apartment in San Francisco, he was cold and distanced himself from the rest of the world.

His hobby? Ricky was secretly talented at playing guitar and writing songs.

Of course, no one knew.

Not many people knew of his existence. They always thought Room 17 was haunted by a ghost.

No one ever talked to him, and he didn't talk to them. He liked it that way.

He did have contact with the human world, but it was limited to grocery store visits and evening strolls on the Golden Gate Bridge.

—————San Francisco—————

"Nina! Open the fucking goddamn door!"

Her boyfriend, EJ, pounded on the thin wooden door. Nini quaked in her shoes on the other side, her breath racing.

She hated this, but she was scared for her life.

In the love department, she'd always gotten something wrong. All of her exes were abusive, simply didn't care, or some other issue.

All she wanted was a good guy, but were her expectations far too high?

"Nina Salazar-Roberts, if you don't open this door right now, I swear to God that I will-"

She sighed and caved as she opened the door. "I'm really tired, hon, could you please just leave me alone tonight?"

He'd already begun to wrap his large arms around her waist and sucking on her neck harshly. "Are you saying no to me, darlin? 'Cause you know I don't take no for an answer."

Nini suppressed a groan. "Well, I guess I can do it tonight."

As EJ pulled her into the sheets, she knew it was going to be another long night.

Nini fell apart.

She hated this so much. Her life had always been a ship headed for disaster. When she was younger, her moms had always said that she'd amount to nothing. That she was too controllable, and they were right. She fell in with guy after guy, and each of them had full power over her. They were her masters, and she was nothing more than their slave.

That evening, Nini stood on the railing of the Golden Gate Bridge, ready to let go already. What point was there left to live? It was already a shipwreck.