you're my destiny (1)

Two old flames break apart after their senior year of high school. Sixteen years later after failed marriages and a couple of kids, they find their way back to each other through High School Musical.

Cast List:

Nicholas Salazar-Roberts as Troy Bolton
Lilliana Bowen as Gabriella Montez
Enid Caswell as Taylor McKessie
Ryder Rodriguez-Matthews-Smith as Chad Danforth
Allyson Redonovich as Sharpay Evans
Small Red Redonovich as Ryan Evans
Kate Greene as Kelsi Nielsen
John Payne as Zeke Baylor
Liam Erickson as Jason Cross
Hailey Morgan as Mrs. Darbus
Bianca Rodriguez-Matthews-Smith as Cello Kid
Rachael Hathaway as Martha Cox

"Welcome, all, to East High's drama club production of High School Musical! Sit back, get some popcorn, and enjoy the show!"

"Wonder if this is going to be as epic as our musical back then," Big Red whispered to me. The Redonovich twins were playing Sharpay and Ryan.

"Let's hope that the boy playing Troy doesn't have his mom come with her new boyfriend and make him drop a basketball midair," I said back.

The curtains opened, and I could see my daughter, Lilliana, as Gabriella. She'd been so excited to finally play the lead in High School Musical since she'd been a background character for the musicals from first grade up until now.

"There's Lilli!" my 8-year-old son, Mickey, yelled, pointing at the stage.

"I know," I smiled proudly.

Lilli did a fantabulous job as Gabriella, and her costar, who was playing Troy, looked somewhat familiar. Olive skin, dark brown hair, and hazel eyes. He looked like someone I knew or used to know.

After the two-hour production, the cast received a standing ovation. I was about to go backstage and congratulate Lilli with Mickey when I caught sight of a woman on the other side of the theater. I squinted closer. No, it couldn't be.

There were many brown-eyed brunettes in Salt Lake. It was just pure coincidence.

However, my curiosity got the better of me. I went over to her and gently tapped her shoulder. She turned around, and my jaw dropped.

"Nini?" I asked.

"Richard?" she gasped.

I had so many questions.

"What are you doing here?" was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

"Coming to see my son play Troy in High School Musical at our old high school, what about you?"

"I was just here to see my daughter Lilliana as Gabriella," I said, still in shock.

We stared at each other for a while, then a small voice interjected.

"Uh...what's going on?" a boy about Mickey's age asked, his eyes darting back and forth between the two of us. He tugged on the hem of Nini's dress.

"Nothing, hon," she said. "Go get your brother and wait for me in the car."

The boy bounced off, and we kept staring at each other. My jaw was still on the floor, and I didn't know if I could pick it up.

"Close your mouth, Richard, you're not a codfish," Nini reprimanded.

"Can't believe it's really you, after all these years," I said. "I thought you moved to that fancy school in Denver."

"I did. Got married, had three kids, then got a divorce. Then, I decided to move back to Salt Lake and enroll Nicholas at East."