stronger than the 90's trend

Plot: Nini's been gone from SLC for six years to pursue acting in Hollywood. When she returns home, she wonders if her best friends and longtime crush still remember her...only to find out that he's got a new girlfriend, and forgotten about little Nini Salazar-Roberts who burst into "Agony" in the hallways. Inspired by lilipution15 's Like Catching Lightning

"You're going home, huh?" my manager, Charlie, asked.

"It's just for a year, so I can finish studying at East High," I explained, stuffing all of my belongings into my suitcase. "Besides, I have a life besides showbiz."

"I'm gonna miss ya, you little stinker," Charlie said, hugging me. He's like my brother.

"Same here, Charleston," I replied. "But I'll see you soon."

"Moms!" I yelled when I saw them at the airport. "How are you?"

They hugged me and covered me in kisses. "Nini-bear! We've missed you!"

On the car ride home, we talked and caught up about everything from my latest movies to life in Salt Lake. "How's everyone?"

"They're all doing well. Kourtney got an intern at L'oreal over the summer, Gina and Ashlyn have fallen in love with theater, Sebastian and Carlos are now dating and the school's power theatric couple, EJ got a new sister, Big Red loves Ashlyn and he's running the pizza place-"

"What about Ricky?" I interrupted.

"Ricky...he was really upset when you left. I told him that you'd come back for him someday, and he believed that for a while until he just came to the conclusion that you'd become one of them, showbiz people, that you'd changed from the kid who ended up in detention by bursting into Into the Woods songs in the hallway. His life did go downhill after that since his mom left for Chicago with her new boyfriend, his dad died, and he's changed. Ricky still plays basketball, he's still a skateboarder, but he isn't the same boy you grew up with. He's also got himself a new girlfriend, who's an incredibly bad influence."

"Oh," I slumped back into my seat. "Give him my deepest condolences."

On Monday, I look at the map that Principal Gonzales gave me in my student handout packet. Locker 405...there it is!

On the way, of course, me being the klutzy teenager I am, bump into a tall figure. The force is so strong that it knocks me to the ground.

"Hey! Watch it!" a male voice snaps.

"Sorry!" I answer in that British accent, dusting myself off. "Wouldn't hurt for you to learn some manners."

He takes a step closer to me. "Do you know who you're dealing with?"

I stare at him for a while. Those hazel eyes look incredibly familiar. So do those curls. Same scuffed Vans. However, the leather jacket is new. Are those tattoos poking out from underneath?

It's Ricky. My moms were right: he changed for the worse. The old Ricky would've helped me up instead of yelling at me.

"I'm very well aware of who you are, even if this is my first day," I answer curtly, still in the accent. I can probably pretend I'm British since no one knows me. 

"So you're new. I'll spare you," he said.

I couldn't believe this was the boy I'd grown up with since we were toddlers. I don't know why I once liked him, maybe even loved him. My partner-in-crime, the one that followed me on all of my troublemaking escapades, the one that was always there to defend me and join me in detention.