stop you putting roots in my dreamland

Once upon a time, there was a fairy and a Lost Boy. They lived in Neverland, the place where no one grew up and nothing was impossible.

The two spent their days swimming with the mermaids and watching sunsets on top of Dragon Hill. They battled pirates together with the Peter Pan and the other Lost Boys and spent many adventures together.

Until one day, they decided to grow up.

Growing up was painful. It meant you wanted to leave the freedom of Neverland and become an adult.

They had to worry about adult things, such as paying bills and wearing tight suits. You no longer had freedom to do whatever you want, you had to follow rules.

The two kids bid farewell to their friends and left for London. They planned to perhaps start a life together, maybe.

They didn't know that the real world was a cruel place. No, there weren't evil pirate ghosts waiting for longtime revenge, but it was a different kind of cruel.

The two kids, now adults, moved into an apartment together. They struggled with finding jobs and paying rent. Soon, financial problems led to bickering, the bickering led to heated arguments, and the heated arguments led to Nini leaving.

Now, Ricky was alone in the world. He didn't have his best friend to stand by him or the Lost Boys.

When he'd given up Neverland, he'd given up his childhood. He worked in an office and had to wear stuffy suits instead of the leaf tunics he wore as his Lost Boy attire.

Now he knew what Peter meant. The real world wasn't the place for him. It was the place for grownups who led boring lives.

He was suddenly woken up by the sound of his boss yelling at him.

"RICHARD BOWEN!"

EJ Caswell, his boss, slammed a book on his desk. Ricky lifted his head up. "What?"

"Why have you been falling asleep again? Get back to work!"

Ricky sighed and looked at the checkbook. He was an accountant, a dull job to say the least. He wasn't dueling dragons or escaping from Captain Hook.

He wondered how she was doing.

Nini had been his best friend. They planned to grow up to start a life together. But one day, they parted ways due to financial difficulties.

Nini wasn't doing so well either.

She longed to be soaring along the mountains with Ricky instead of working as a cashier.

Unlike Neverland, no one here was friendly. They all looked past her without a glance. They didn't even bother to say hello or give a quick smile.

She daydreamed a lot.

She dreamed about him.

It got her in trouble a lot, that's for sure. But Nini wouldn't mind if she was fired. She wanted to go back to Neverland and become a kid again. Being a grownup was so very difficult, way more than she imagined.

She thought that growing up just meant that she and Ricky could spend their lives together. It would've been fun, besides the fact that adult problems broke them apart.