when i'm afraid to fall

Who said the girl has to be the beauty and the boy has to be the beast? This is a flipped and twisted tale, just in honor of S2.

Nini Salazar-Roberts is notorious around East High as the head cheerleader and the leader of the so-called "Popular Girls," AKA the Mean Girls. Ricky Bowen is a shy nerd who always has his nose buried in a book and loves to skateboard. He's the only one who stands up to her, and she never notices him, until now. One night, one party, one dare, and everything changes.

Deals with abuse and self-harming, if you are uncomfortable, please skip this chapter.

Some language, just to make this more realistic.

Inspired by alexas_chronicles LOST SOUL", Olivia's "good 4 u" music video, Zazathepsycho's "Struggling Alone" oneshot, and niniukegirl's "Boy with the Books."

Random playlist of songs for this chapter:

1. Queen of Mean
2. Take on the World
3. Good 4 U
4. So Close
5. Something There
6. Just For a Moment
7. I Think I Kinda You Know

Nini

When people begin their tale, they usually start with "hello" or "once upon a time." I don't need an introduction to tell you who I am.

People talk about me as if I care what they think. I've heard all of them. "Wicked Witch of the West" by the theater geeks. "Narcissistic Nina" also by the theater geeks. "Queen of Mean"-guess who it's from? The theater geeks.

Of course, I'm the queen bee of the school. Everyone bows down to me. It's like that quote from Maleficent that I live by: "the best way to make your subjects obey you is to instill fear in them, and use that fear against your enemies."

I've always been this kind of girl. I have an outer tough skin that can't be cracked, and no one knows the real me.

Do you want to delve into my entire backstory? Well, you ain't getting it.

Ricky

Hi. I'm Ricky Bowen.

My story takes place in the present tense, at a school called East High in Utah.

There's not much you really have to know about me.

1) I'm a full-time nerd and a part-time jock.

2) I'm an 18-year-old senior in high school.

3) I love to skate, and my favorite subject is history.

This morning, I was carrying a stack of books to my class when I heard a voice in front of me. I'd known it forever, and she didn't speak to me for anything else other than public humiliation.

"Well, look who it is, the biggest nerd in school."

I pasted on a smile. "Pleasure to see you too, Nina."

"What've you been up to, Richard? Studying for your history test again?"

Everyone laughed. Well, this was better than the time she "accidentally" dropped all my books to the floor.

I gave her my nicest smile. "Well, Nina, if you actually ever studied or picked up a book once in a while instead of going to your stupid parties and bullying people, you may finally get an A on your report card."