love and war

Munich, Germany, 1932
Ricky Bowen had it all. He had good grades, a kind dad, a loving girlfriend, and plenty of friends.

Today, he was biking to his girlfriend, Nini's house after school. She lived in a small apartment two blocks away from his dad's diner, where they served traditional Jewish foods such as matzo ball soup, kugels, and more. His best friend, Big Red, also worked there.

          He parked the bike in front of the apartment and grabbed the carefully wrapped pot of shakshuka. He went up the flights of rickety stairs and found the apartment that he'd known since he was little.

        Ricky opened the door. He found Nini and her mom, Mrs. Roberts preparing the table.

         "Guten nachmittag, Mrs. Roberts. Nini."
(Good afternoon)

        He gave the two women a kiss on the cheek and scurried around the kitchen to prepare dinner. He put the pot of shakshuka in the middle of the table. "My dad wanted me to bring this to you from the diner."

        The elder Roberts woman ruffled his curls and laughed. "Did you bring-"

        "The sufganiyot? Right here," Ricky said, pulling out the small container of jelly doughnuts. He'd spent enough time with the Roberts, and they were like a second family to him.

         "And the-"

         "Rugelach? Got that too," Ricky said, smiling at Nini.

         Together, the three settled down to eat dinner.

       That night, Nini and Ricky were laying on the bed shirtless while staring at the small hole through the roof. There they could see a fine view of the moon and the stars.

        "Ricky?"

"Ja?"

         "Do you think it will be like this forever? You and me, just staring at the stars?"

       Ricky played with one of her curls and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I hope so, Nini. I hope so."

April 3, 1933

      "Why is business so slow today?" Big Red asked, scrubbing the counters. "Usually this place is packed."

       The diner didn't have that many people. Today, the noisy buzz and rush of customers were nowhere to be heard. Sure, the occasional neighbor came in to order some rugelach, but today it was extremely slow.

       Ricky was wondering that too. Every day, the diner got wide reception. Everyone in Munich loved the Bowens' homemade dishes.

      He and Red went to the kitchen and found Mike, reading a newspaper and smoking a pipe. "It might be because of this," he said, holding up the newspaper.

Your Fuhrer demands you to boycott all Jewish businesses! Do not enter a business if it is owned by a Jew!

       "What? That's nonsense!" Ricky blurted out in Yiddish, something he did when he was mad.

       "It's because of that Adolf Hitler," Mike muttered, smoke blowing out of his pipe. Ricky could see the steam coming out of his ears.

September 17, 1935

        "Read all about it! The Nazis have passed the Nuremberg laws!"

         A paper boy stood waving newspapers on the corner of the street. Ricky paid the boy his two cents and skimmed the paragraph.