i only come to weddings for the cake.

Plot: Ricky and Nini attend a couple of weddings over the years. Nini's intrigued about the romance...but Ricky cares more for the cake. He never knew someday he'd end up having a wedding himself. Based on the cover above. Title idea inspired by @Catiebuggggy.

2009

"Icky! Do you want to come to my moms' friend's wedding? They said I could bring a friend, and Kourtney's out of town in that weird place that starts with an L. Louis-Anna or something!" Nini yelled up the tree.

"Will there be cake?" the curly-haired boy's eyes widened.

"I'm pretty sure. I haven't ever been to a wedding before, so maybe."

"Count me in!" Ricky exclaimed eagerly as he climbed down.

"Momma C, why do I have to wear a suit?" Ricky whined as Carol helped him tie the little bow.

"It's a formal event, as far as I'm concerned, and we need to follow the dress code," she answered calmly. It took three tries for the boy to get into his suit, but they were finally off to the venue.

--At the wedding--

"When's the cake coming?" Ricky whispered into Nini's ear. "And why is that dude just talking about stuff no one understands?"

"It's called vows," Nini whispered back. "I think. To be fair, it is kind of romantic."

"What is romance?" Ricky wrinkled his nose. "You told me there was cake."

"And I give to you humble witnesses, Mr. and Mrs. Black! You may kiss the bride!" Everyone applauded, but Ricky quietly grimaced. "Why do people kiss? The only thing they actually do is trade spit!" Nini whacked his arm. "Shut up and live in the moment!" Ricky felt that he deserved more cake after being stuck watching people trade saliva, so Nini offered him her piece of cake. She didn't like chocolate anyway, so it was a win for Ricky.

2015

"Hey, Mr. Bowen! Ricky!" Nini ran next door as fast as she could, waving two blue envelopes in the air.

"Nini, you know it's Mike or Dad, whichever makes you feel more comfortable. No need for formalities here. What's up, and why did I hear you screaming from next door?"

"My moms can finally get married!" she spilled out in one breath, collapsing on their couch. "Wow, that's great, Neens, just warn us before you cut off our eardrums," Ricky chuckled.

"It's next week, and you two are already invited. Here, I also brought one for Mrs. Bowen, I mean Lynne. Just...call and let my moms know! Or just stop by and have dinner with us. Whatever works best!"

"Of course we'll come!" Mike said happily. "Ricky?"

"Will there be cake?"

Nini groaned and rolled her eyes. "Yes, Richard, my moms have made sure to order one chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream cake. No, they got it for free because my Lola made it. You coming or not?"

"If there's cake, I'm in."

--Wedding--