the student tutor's prankster

Ricky Bowen, the resident bad boy at East High, meets his new student tutor, Nini Salazar Roberts.

"Richard Bowen, you stuffed an army of mice giving birth into Vice Principal Kramsky's desk?"

Mom and Dad stared at me with blank looks on their faces.

"Uh, yeah. To get back at him for putting me in detention last week."

Mom threw up her hands. "Really, Ricky, why do you do this? You've never spent a trouble-free week at school since KINDERGARTEN."

I shrugged. "I'm not one of those goody-two-shoes kids, Mom."

"I know you aren't, Ricky," Dad chimed in. "But if you're such a mastermind at evil pranks, why aren't you a mastermind at getting your grades up? You know your report cards aren't fridge-hanging material. I don't even know how you got to eleventh grade after all."

I might or might not have scared the teachers into moving me up.

I'm a prankster, the bad skater boy. Yeah, I've been getting in trouble since kindergarten. Yeah, I broke a window while "accidentally" trying to get out of detention. Yeah, I replaced Miss Baker's jelly donut with ketchup and hot sauce. And yeah, I stuffed an army of mice that were giving birth into Kramsky's desk.

I'm a legend at East High. Just ask those freshmen whom I locked inside an empty classroom by greasing the door handles last month.

"You're getting a student tutor," Kramsky said.

"What, why?"

"You know why."

He pointed to my report card upon his "Honors" wall.

Every year, Kramsky puts the names of students who have done great honors on his wall. My great honor was "Lowest Report Card Score," and I'd been up there for seven months straight.

I popped my chewing gum. "Let me guess. One of those brainiacs in Mathletes? ChessChamps?"

Kramsky gave me a stern look through his glasses and set my feet on the floor. "Yes. You'll meet her in the library after school today."

I sighed and blew another bubble.

I entered the library, a place I'd never thought to visit, especially not today.

"Books. What pranks shall I pull with these?"

I wandered around. Maybe I could swap all the books from the science fiction section into the history section! I rubbed my hands together evilly.

"Hello?"

A tap on my shoulder startled me. I turned around to find a girl with big brown eyes and slightly wavy hair.

"Are you Richard Bowen?"

"That I am," I said, crossing my arms and leaning confidently on the library cart.

Unfortunately, the book cart toppled over and all the books came crashing to the ground.

The girl laughed. "Not a good first impression, but I guess you don't need one. I've heard a lot of things about you, Richard Bowen. Prankster, skater, bad boy in general."

We picked up the books, and then we went to a vacant table. I could see the name tag on her shirt that said, Hi, I'm your student tutor, Nina Salazar-Roberts!

"So, you're Nina?"

"Everyone calls me Nini. My moms thought Nina was too mature for a kid, so the nickname stuck."