Protecting Your Soul [Toshiro Hitsugaya] for Jinx Jeff's little sister

Even though the night air was warm everything felt cold. As the rain fell Vanessa found herself staring up at the dark sky, while a shaky hand tried in a weak attempt to stanch a stomach wound. It had come out of nowhere this invisible force that seemed to make the area around them shimmer, which was the only indication that something was wrong. But it hadn't been enough of a warning and it attacked. Only then did it become clear what it was. There had been a panic as those who were also out braving the rain watched as the teen was lifted into the air as blood poured from her abdomen from the puncture wound created by the creature's jaw as it clamped down. And the pain that rushed through Vanessa's body was so great she couldn't even produce a scream, mouth agape before being thrown through the air. The ground shook as it stalked forward, however, it didn't get far before it shrieked and its pressure disappeared.

The screams were distant, as people frantically called for help, others gathering around. But not too many because they didn't want to suffocate Vanessa. There was only one reason, and one reason alone why she had been the only one attacked. Spiritual pressure. If only she didn't have it then life could've been a bit simpler. And at the same time, she wouldn't take it back.

Out of the corner of her eye something caught the light of the street lamps, her head just barely turning to try and see better. White hair. And it easily pushed through the humans to look her in the eye. There was alarm in his expression, something that was rarely seen. "I wasn't quick enough," he breathed. "It's going to be alright."

Vanessa gave a shaky smile and shuddered to try and gain a proper breath. "I can't feel anything..." she gasped.

There was a pressure where her hands should be, the Reaper trying to assess the situation. "Stay calm and keep looking at me," he ordered. But the young man was only saying that to try and reassure himself. There was so much blood and everything he was doing wasn't working. Color was draining from the teen's face, lips turning a bluish-purple. Where the hell were the paramedics?

"Toshiro..." His eyes turned up to meet her gaze. The smile was still in place. "I'll... see you in the Society..."

The Soul Reaper panicked as the light began to leave her eyes and her chest went still. "No, no, no, no." Blood-soaked hands reached up cupping her cheeks. "Vanessa! Vanessa!"

Sirens were wailing as they came down the street and a hand gripped the Captain's shoulder. Slowly, his eyes pulled away to find Rangiku staring down at him with a heartbroken expression. "We have to go," she whispered.

"But-"

"Her soul passed peacefully, but we can't stay with the humans coming to help."

Shakily, Toshiro got to his feet staring at the body at his feet. He didn't want Vanessa to become a soul, she deserved to live her life as a human as long as possible. And he had failed to protect her and all because her spiritual pressure wasn't great enough for the teen to fight back like Kurosaki and Inoue could. She had basically been helpless and he couldn't save her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He searched for months in the Rukongai Districts. And every trip ended with no information. She had to have come here. Rangiku said she passed peacefully so there was no way going to Hueco Mundo was an option. But had Vanessa become stuck in the in-between? If that was the case it could take years before the teen finally appeared. So the Captain put up flyers, something that was very important to those in the World of the Living when animals and loved ones were missing. Taking a picture of when they had attended a festival together, Toshiro cropped himself out, giving the basic information of the teen and what her human name had been. There was a chance her memory would be wiped and wouldn't remember a thing. It was a long shot, and a secret. He was surprised that Rangiku even managed to keep her mouth shut on the whole situation.

There was a knock on the door, the Captain groaning lowly from the headache he had. Why did there have to be so much paperwork? And why did it always seem that out of all of the Divisions, his seemed to get the most?

"Come in."

It was an officer returning from a mission, file in hand and placing it on the desk. "Sorry, Captain."

"It's not your fault you finished early. Dismissed."

Moving towards the door he had just cleared it when Rangiku came barreling through, nearly trampling him. "Captain!"

The pen snapped in his hand as the sound pushed his headache to another level. "Rang-!"

The Lieutenant lifted the young man out of his chair and raced through the halls. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" he shouted. "Put me down!"

"This is important!" she answered. They were headed towards Rukongai, the Captain struggling to get free. He'd rather just run himself than be carried in such a way. And in public! Finally, Rangiku came to an abrupt halt before standing the Captain upright and shoving him forward. "There!"

Stumbling, Toshiro's jaw clenched, ready to chew out his partner for insubordination. However, a laugh stopped him from doing just that. "I've never seen you move that fast, Rangiku."

The woman grinned over the Captain's shoulder as he slowly turned back around and came face to face with,

"Vanessa," he breathed. Waving, the Lieutenant left quickly. The soul rushed forward in a hug, arms wrapping around him tightly. And the Captain was quick to return the gesture. "How much do you remember?"

"Some of it, but enough." Pulling away to look him in the eyes Vanessa smiled. "Enough that I recognized the picture in your flyers. My neighbors kept saying my face was all over the streets, and at first I didn't believe them."

"I couldn't find you. And I am so sorry for what happened-"

"It's alright," she cut him off. "I'm just thankful you still care."

Toshiro kissed her swiftly, surprising the soul as her grip tightened on his uniform. "I could never forget you," he whispered.