Strategy

(Y/N) was so nervous, she couldn't wait to finally see her shift end. She had almost let fall some glasses before she realized she had to calm herself down. Even Sarah had noticed and asked her if everything was alright. But (Y/N) waved it off saying it was nothing. But then she began thinking:

'What if Satoru is watching me from the outside? I can't act suspicious. That sorceress might have found out that I'm a curse user and she could be with him... What should I do now? Do I run? But where to? No, I can't run. I have promised myself I would find out what really happened to my parents. I couldn't live with myself if I broke that promise.'

Gojo had been the one investigating her parent's death. He had been in the country for another mission and the higher-ups had sent him there. But he had his flight to catch and couldn't end his investigation so the council had just archived the case. He was the only one who (Y/N) could ask for some clue where to look next. She needed to go on with her plan and hope Satoru wouldn't take her prisoner, or worse, kill her.

*****

The next morning Satoru was trying to distract himself before he would go to Ieiri to see what her thoughts were about Yuna, but he knew his friend liked to sleep in on the weekend, that's why he used this time to clean his apartment. He hated doing shores but he also liked his apartment clean. After a quick lunch, he decided it was late enough for him to go over to Shoko.

He entered her apartment door without bothering to knock first, she was already expecting him since she had opened the building door for him. Taking his shoes off at the entrance he stepped in and saw his friend putting the dishes in the dishwasher.

"So what did you find out?"

"Hi, Gojo, I'm fine, thanks for asking." She smiled at him because she wasn't mad for him to ask her right away without greeting her.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." He waved it off. "Come on now, tell me."

He opened one of her kitchen cabinets and took out some salted peanuts covered with honey, one of the few sweet things she always had at home. He sat in the middle of her couch, opening the package and beginning to eat, throwing one peanut at the time in the air and catching it with his mouth.

Shoko was used to his behavior so she said nothing. She poured some more wine into her glass and sat on the armchair that was next to her couch. She hoped the quantity of alcohol was enough to handle Satoru.

"She is a hell of a woman. I think you were right to be suspicious about her, but I don't think she is a curse user. She doesn't seem to be dangerous, and she does her job just too well to be acting, so most likely she is working with someone."

Satoru was intrigued. "Why do you think that?"

"I used my reverse healing cursed technique on her and it gave me a shock. I have been thinking of why, because I didn't feel her cursed energy rise for her to perform a technique. So what if the markings she has are to protect herself? My theory is that she works with a curse user that has put those marks on her to protect her and she is gathering information about you for that person."

Satoru pondered for a while. He had thought of that possibility himself. Although he once had fought someone with no cursed energy and that didn't go so well, he didn't think that was the case here.

"Let's assume that possibility. Do you think she is doing this voluntarily?"

"I think there are some possibilities. She could be in love with the curse user or at least friendly with him or then he has her blackmailed somehow."

"So then we need to be careful not to reveal our suspicions. If there is someone behind Yuna, then we need to find that person."

"We? Why do I have to be involved?"

Leaning back into the seat Gojo crossed his legs giving her an all-knowing look. "Don't say you aren't curious about Yuna."

He was one of a few people that knew about Shoko's preference for women and she has similar taste as he does, so he presumed she would like to see more of the bartender.

Shoko knew what he was hinting at, but she didn't let him get under her skin. "Maybe I am curious but only to understand how her marks work and the purpose of them. But only the two of us can't observe her the whole day."

"Yeah, I have thought about that and I will include my first years to keep watch over her."

"Your first years?" She said incredulously. "Sure, Panda won't even stick out in a crowd" (she imagined Panda hiding in a crowd while people were staring at him), "Maki will surely not lose her temper and end up attacking Yuna, only to be sure she isn't a curse user." 'That girl would do well to learn how to manage her temper although it is her biggest strength.' "Oh and Toge can recite Yuna a rice ball recipe, I think she would love that. And last we have Yuta, although his social skills have evolved I doubt he can handle maintaining a decent cover. Don't get me wrong, they are all promising young shamans, but this mission has nothing to do with what they are used to."

Gojo smiled at his friend. "You give my students too little credit. I'm sure they can handle the situation. And it's good training for them, something else than just exorcising curses. Just the perfect mission for them to finish their first year."

Shoko laughed heartily. She just knew the white-haired man for too long... "Sure, you doing this only for the best interest of your students, it's not like you let them do your work while you go slacking off."

Somewhat offended, Satoru contradicted the medic. "I don't intend letting them do all the work. I will keep watching Yuna as well when I have the chance."

The smile on Gojo's face told Shoko that he hadn't good intentions. "What do you have planned?"

"I will ask her on a date."

"...... On a date?" The woman said incredulously.

"Yes, that's what Yuna has been asking of me, and is there a better way to get to know someone than on a date? If she is faking interest in me to obtain information then I will use the same strategy against her."

Shoko was tired of Satoru. Not even the alcohol would help her calm down anymore. He would always attract problems and she only hoped that this time he wouldn't do something reckless and drag her into his shit. "You know what, do whatever you want, it's not like you would listen to me anyway. Just promise me you will be careful and don't let your guard down. Don't forget you can't trust her."

He gave her a presumptuous smile. "Come on, I know what I'm doing. It's not like I will fall in love with her or something like that."