Setting things straight

The Narita international airport was still busy at the time Satoru and (Y/N) arrived. People were rushing to catch their flights, loved ones were saying their goodbyes, while others waited patiently, or impatiently, for someone.

The car ride had been quiet after the few words exchanged between them. (Y/N) had almost fallen asleep from how tired she was from all the training she had the last weeks, but her mind kept working. She thought of all the things that had happened between her and Satoru, and how she could surpass the awkwardness she felt around him right now. As she walked tiredly behind him through the security control, she made a decision. She would apologize to him and hope things would go back to normal, whatever normal between them was.

On a calmer corridor, (Y/N) called out to the man in front of her.

"Gojo-san? Can we talk for a bit?"

As Satoru turned around, he hid every trace of surprise he could have on his face with one of his characteristic smiles.

"What is it? Don't say you are scared of flying."

The sorceress bit her lip nervously while studying Gojo. He was using his sunglasses, probably because the blindfold would raise suspicion in an Airport, but he was still wearing the jujutsu uniform. His face didn't tell her much, she had come to know that his smile was used as a camouflage to hide his true feelings, but his body language did reveal something. He had leaned closer to her, suggesting he was interested to hear what she had to say.

"No, it's not that." Ignoring his now bigger smile, (Y/N) continued. "This mission is important. People are getting hurt, so we can't mess it up. I thought it was best to clear things between us."

Gojo leaned even closer to her, making her retread against the wall to try to escape the man.

"What are you doing?" She asked, startled.

"Relax, I won't do anything. I'm just making sure no one listens to us."

"How do you do that? Why do you need to be so close?"

"So people will think we are a couple and look away, of course."

That was only partially true. Satoru was well aware of what he was doing. (Y/N) was right, of course, they should put aside their problems and focus on the mission, but for that to work, he needed to prove himself he could maintain control around the woman. That's why he was getting so close to her. He was testing his limits by inhaling her scent while his lips were very close to hers.

Looking into her eyes he whispered. "You're right, we need to clear things between us."

He brushed a strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear. "What do you suggest we do?"

His voice was like velvet to her that close. He had no mocking undertone, nor hardness that would suggest he was teasing her.

"I wanted to apologize for the way I teased you the other night at my place. It was childish and immature of me."

The man sighed. "Yes it was, but I think I deserved it. You were right with what you told me that night. It was stupid of me to sleep on the couch when you stayed in my place."

"So what do we do? Act as if nothing had happened?"

"No. We move on. No more teasing each other, no more lying, and no tricks."

"Hum. I think I can do that."

Now with his feelings under control, Satoru was pleased with his performance. He pulled away, giving the woman more space.

"Everything clear now between us?" He asked her.

"Almost. When are you going to tell me what you know about my parents' death?"

Since Satoru didn't have any clue about what had happened to her parents back then, he had asked an acquaintance to investigate, but he hasn't found anything out yet. But he still couldn't tell her that although he told her right now they shouldn't lie to each other. What if she decided to leave instead of waiting for him to have some news?

'I don't want her to go.' He admitted to himself.

Although everything she had done to trick him, to lie to him, he still believed she was a good person. He could see that in the little things she did. Like when she stood protectively in front of Megumi during his fight against Sukuna on the school building, when she decided to check up on the curtain at the detention center, where she probably had saved Megumi's life, how sad she looked when Yuji died, how she comforted him although he tried to push her away...

Satoru found it difficult for these little things to be part of her performance, of her lies, but his mind was completely clouded by her. That's when he asked Kento to train with her and to build an opinion of her character. It was as Satoru expected. Nanami told him that (Y/N) seemed to be a good person.

"About that. If I'm telling you, you will go right away, right?"

"No, I will see this mission through with you first, of course."

He nodded in approval. "What if I need your help with something else?"

(Y/N) was caught by surprise. Gojo wasn't demanding her help, he was asking. What if she would refuse to help him? Would he still reveal what he knew of her parents?

As tempted as she was to finally have some clue where to go next, she couldn't ignore Gojo's request. He was a good guy. Whatever it was that he asked her to help with, must be important. What would be a little more time till she would get her revenge?

"What did you need my help with?"

With relief, Satoru gave her another smile. "I need you to keep an eye on Yuji. Strange things are happening and I need to figure out what exactly. But I can't leave Yuji unprotected and I don't know how long Nanami will help me."

"Okay, I see. For how long do you think you will need my help?"

"At least until Yuji can defend himself properly."

"Hum. Okay, I'll help you."

"Good, I was hoping you would say so. Now, we have to hurry to catch our plane."

To make sure (Y/N) wouldn't walk behind him again, he made her walk beside him as he guided the sorceress with a hand on her lower back. It was a little gesture but it didn't go unnoticed by her. The little talk seemed to have had more impact than what she had thought it would.

*****

Hi, my loves. Sorry for the long wait. Thank you for staying with me 🥰 I hope I can go back to at least update every second week, but I can't promise anything.

This chapter was short again because I wanted to start writing when they arriv in Switzerland, but as I was rereading the story so I could continue writing, I must admit that I didn't like the way their relationship was evolving, so I needed to fix that first...