Back to life

After Yuji fell dead on the ground, the events afterward seemed somehow surreal. (Y/N) wasn't that close to him nor Megumi or Nobara, but nevertheless witnessing someone die, especially someone so young, would always leave a mark. Soon after, Ijichi came back with two more assistants and took care of the situation.

On the ride back to Jujutsu High, (Y/N) hugged Megumi on the rear seat while searching for some words to comfort the teen.

"Yuji, he was really strong... In the end, he took control over Sukuna again."

"Hum." was all she got from Megumi.

She sighed. "I know you're not someone to talk much, but if you need to vent, I'll listening."

Back in Jujutsu High, everyone involved in the mission was interviewed by principal Yaga, including (Y/N). She gave her statement including as many details as she could remember, withholding the part about her marks, of course.

"This is quite the mess you have in hands, principal Yaga. As I understood, three first years were dispatched on a mission involving a special grade curse?"

Looking tired and older than what (Y/N) had seen him before on the school grounds, the principal let a hand run over his face.

"It wasn't supposed to be a special grade curse..." What he didn't tell the curse user was that this mission wasn't even one that he had given. This came directly from the higher-ups. The worst headache he would get was when Gojo would show up. He suspected that wouldn't take much longer...

The principal dismissed (Y/N) so she made her way to the morgue to see Yuji one last time. Then she would make sure Megumi was alright before going home and maybe get drunk so she wouldn't think of all the things that happened that day.

'Are my markings the same as Sukuna? What did he say again? The rite that marks the soul... I remember reading something about that, but it didn't seem to be important...'

She walked inside the morgue and stopped in her tracks. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw Gojo leaning against the wall. She had told herself so many times that he was indifferent to her, that she only stayed around because he was the only lead she had of her parents' murderer, but as her emotions run wild inside of her with only his presence, she wasn't so sure anymore. She knew he was a player and had no illusions that he would feel something for her, especially after she had lied to him, but still, she would be lying to herself if she said he was indifferent to her... He was so strong, funny and although he wouldn't show it most of the time, he was caring.

His voice broke the silence and took her out of her thoughts.

"They did it. They found a way to kill Sukuna's vessel."

His voice was calm, hiding the torment of feelings the sorcerer was hiding, or at least that's what (Y/N) thought. She didn't know what to say to him, she never was good at comforting people with words, so she just hugged him hoping it would work as it did with Megumi.

She felt him try to push her away, so she only held tighter to him. His attempts to push her back stopped immediately, but it took a few more moments for him to relax and hug her back. They stood like this for a moment, Satoru's chin resting on her head, but eventually (Y/N) let go.

"I'm sorry I was late. If I had got there sooner, maybe..."

Gojo interrupted her. "It isn't your fault. You are not responsible for my students, I was the one who should have stayed."

Satoru was furious because of what happened with his students. He regretted profoundly to have accepted a mission aboard, but at the time it seemed the best thing to do so he could run away from (Y/N) and the way she made him feel.