F I F T Y - E I G H T

June 21, 1997

I held tight to Alana's hand as Madame Pomfrey spread a blue gel onto her bare abdomen. I felt her shiver due to the cold and she smiled softly at the Healer.

Madame Pomfrey drew her wand out of her apron and waved it over Alana's stomach.

A grey bubble popped up over all three of us, floating in the air. Madame Pomfrey studied the bubble while dragging her wand along the blue gel.

Pomfrey's face contorted and then it faded into a small smile.

"Everything alright?" Alana asked hopeful, squeezing my hand tighter.

"Of course, darling." She kept looking, smiling at what I could only assume to be the fetus.

Then a question popped up in my head; one that I've been meaning to find out for myself.

"Madame Pomfrey?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowing. "Alana started showing symptoms of pregnancy a week after uh- you know. Why did she start showing them so early?"

Alana blushed at the mention of intercourse and awkwardly looked down at the gel coating her stomach.

Pomfrey nodded her head and made a mental note before turning to me, eyebrows raised. "Wizarding pregnancies are more complex than Muggle pregnancies. Muggle women tend to start showing signs of pregnancy like morning sickness a month in, maybe earlier. Witches on the other hand, tend to start all early symptoms less than or roughly a week in."

"It was normal then?" Alana bit her lip.

"Yes." The Healer responded before taking one last look in the bubble. "Your baby is perfectly fine Miss Wood. They're very healthy; you've been taking prenatal vitamins, I assume?"

Lana nodded quickly. Pomfrey gave her a 'good job' look before waving her wand over the blue gel and making it evaporate into thin air. The bubble went away with a 'pop'.

"I'm glad Miss Parkinson could join you today but shouldn't Mr Buckley be here as well?" She stuck the wand back in her apron and turned to grab a quill and notepad.

Alana stuttered and let go of my hand. "Well, you see, we uh- we still haven't talked about it."

Pomfrey nodded and turned away, taking her notes with her.

"You should probably talk about it." I warned Alana, cautiously. She looked weary.

Bringing a hand up to her forehead, she said. "I know that, but Kayden hasn't even looked my way since he found out I was pregnant."

"That's probably because he found that out through his ex-girlfriend." I mumbled. Alana raised her head at me and made a confused expression. But there was something in her expression that wasn't quite confusion.

It was amusement.

"Yeah," she pondered. "I wonder how she found out."

My mind thought back to the many times we've had those conversations in very public places.

"Maybe she overheard us." I suggested, shrugging my shoulders.

"Maybe." She mumbled.

Madame Pomfrey came in tutting with a bottle of prenatal vitamins in her hands.

"You can stop stealing from my stores dear." Pomfrey cocked her eyebrow my way.

"How did you-" I started.

"Thank you Sir Cadogan!" She sung in a high-pitched tone.

The knight and his fat pony came galloping from portrait to portrait in a hurry. "Anything for the fair maiden of the Hospital Ward!"