F I F T Y - N I N E

June 30, 1997

Tonight's the night.

Tonight's the night.

Tonight's the night.

I stood in Myrtle's bathroom trying to keep myself together. I had just finished the last class of my sixth year and the stress of passing my exams was the cherry on top of my anxiety sundae.

Leaning against the sink, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I didn't recognize who I saw.

My foot tapped against the tile floor in a little puddle of water. My flats that I was required to wear with my uniform got slightly wet as the water splashed beneath my feet.

All classes ended today and the school would be going back on July 1st.

2 days from now.

Fuck.

I threw my out-of-control hair in a messy bun and pushed back the remaining hair on my head.

I stared back at the reflection of myself. I looked pale of malnourishment and stress. My eyes were tired and the lilac bags under my eyes weren't doing me any good.

The mascara I put on today — due to the fact I looked tired and miserable — didn't make my eyes look good either.

Mascara smudges streaked along my eyes where I've been wiping them all day in order to stay awake and my eyelashes looked straight as a board.

Pretty soon, I zoned out. I just thought.

Did Draco have any idea how he was going to kill Dumbledore?

If he does, why didn't he tell me?

Where would Dumbledore be?

How would it happen?

"Hello." A abnormally high-pitched voice murmured in my ear. I hopped backwards and clutched my heart screaming.

I stopped when I realized it was Moaning Myrtle. She was laughing hysterically.

"Fuck you!" I shouted and put my hand on my head.

Myrtle giggled. "What are you doing here?"

"I finished my classes. I can be wherever I want." I huffed at the ghost.

"Hmm," Myrtle spun around me in a circle. "You look tired."

"Maybe it's cause I am." I replied. I walked towards the wall and sunk to the floor.

"Why is that?" She questioned, spinning in circles; giving me a migraine.

I closed my eyes. "None of your business."

It was silent for a minute and then a mind-blowing cold sensation went through my head. My eyes snapped open. Myrtle put her wisp of an arm through my head and held it there.

I ducked out of the way and gave her a 'what the fuck?' look. She giggled and pulled her hand away. "I was trying to wake you up."

"I didn't want to be woken up." I yawned and rested my head on my hand. I fought with my body to keep my eyes open.

Myrtle whined and whirled around the bathroom. They sure call her Moaning Myrtle for a reason.

"How'd you die?" I asked her out of nowhere, struggling to say awake.

"That's a rude question." She whined.