Chapter 38

Link tilted his head and examined the structure of your face as the wind blew gently from the north. It was safe to say that not a single thought of travelling came into his mind as he watched you, beyond mesmerised as you wrote in a certain notebook you had. The way the sun cast your face in streams of liquid gold, highlighting even the smallest aspects of your beauty left him with a bizarre expression. Wow, he thought, naturally leaning forward in means of engrossing himself with your presence. Yes, travelling was the last thing in his mind, and it showed with the week-long break he was taking with you.

Rather than continue toward the final Divine Beast after leaving Gerudo Canyon Pass, he found himself making several detours. All of which was served so he could spend more quality time with you. Besides, it was somewhat comforting, not having to deal with a lot of monsters. Typically, his day and yours consisted of at least five or six Bokoblin confrontations (and that's not including other monsters), but that wasn't the case now. Staying in neighbouring villages gave the two of you a certain...refuge, from hostile journeys. And it allowed Link to see what life after defeating Calamity Ganon would be like.

He seldom had much time to think about his future, but being in such a calm space prompted immersing wonderments of the life he now hoped to lead with you. Unaware of the fact that you had caught his lingering gaze, Link continued digging through the thoughts that bounced around his mind until a little laugh reeled him back.

"You know," you chimed just as you set your pencil down, "you once told me that staring isn't considered polite."

Flustered with realisation, the blonde glanced to the side and half-smiled as the tip of his nose grew pink. "Yeah, sorry," Link apologised, chuckling a bit afterwards. "It's just hard not to look at you."

"Oh?" You sat up a tad and took notice of the little scoots he did as an attempt to get closer to you. "And why is that?" You decided to inquire further.

Before answering, Link lifted his hand at the very moment he met your eyes and caressed your cheek, welcoming the warmth they held. A fuzzy, almost electrifying feeling occurred at the tips of his fingers and in mere seconds the sensation was coursing throughout his entire arm. "Well...for starters you're gorgeous," he said as he gave your cheek a gentle stroke with his thumb, "and I like admiring you." A dash of shyness was clear in his tone and expression, but it only made the compliment much more endearing.

As a result, you swooned into his touch and momentarily closed your eyes. "You're so sweet," you mumbled, your eyelids fluttering open to catch the smile that painted Link's face.

When flickering his attention to your lips, Link blushed and leaned forward, pressing a tender kiss on them before pulling away with burning cheeks. "Hmm, I know," he said, not failing to let his playful nature shine through his words. When he looked down, he noticed the journal you kept on your lap and reached for it. "What are you writing about?" He asked, amused as he studied the little designs you had drawn around his name.

But before he had enough time to examine every childish doodle you had done, you took the journal from his hands and looked down at the page with a sheepish expression. "About last weeks events," you replied, referring to the day he asked you to be his girlfriend and the travel to the labyrinth. Even though the contents of your notebook weren't necessarily private, you didn't plan on sharing every detail written within it. So, you shut the leather journal close and glanced to the right, where a nearby village lay.

The people there went about their business, and for a moment you felt the simplicity of village life, but unlike them, Link and you had a duty that neither of you could shake away. And the small reminder of your responsibility caused you to look at Link with pursed lips. "You know, we've done nothing but lounge around here for hours," you mentioned, setting your journal inside your satchel. "Don't you think it's about time we...I don't know, resume our journey?" Reluctance to even bring up the subject was evident in the way you phrased your words, but you knew it had to be said.