Chapter 16

You chewed on your bottom lip, watching as Link crouched on the ground. He made his way towards a group of Moblins and Lizalfos carefully, making little to no noise at all. Normally, you wouldn't allow him to go between a group of monsters alone, but the boy persuaded you in letting him. To be safe, you gave him the Sheikah armour Paya had gifted you weeks ago since you remembered they helped with stealth missions. You weren't sure if they would work, but as you witnessed Link pass by the sleeping creatures with ease, you grinned. Despite his success, you held your bow tightly, prepared for anything.

Link very slowly made his way up a watchtower the monsters protected. The wood creaked very quietly under his weight, which made his heart pound against his chest roughly. Yes, he could easily defeat every creature if they happened to wake up, but he wanted to show you that his stealth skills had improved. He slyly stepped onto the platform of the watchtower, looking down to make sure the monsters continued sleeping. When he saw them resting he smiled to himself and turned to the treasure chest. He pulled the mask he had on down to his chin and knelt in front of the chest, working on prying it open.

"Come on," he mumbled, trying to unlock the chest. It took him several minutes, but when he did he exhaled and began grabbing the gemstones and weapons that were inside. After a few minutes, he successfully stashed most things away in his pouches and sheathed the new weapons. Link turned and swiftly jumped off the watchtower, landing on the ground in a crouch. He stayed in that position for a few seconds, making sure the monsters stayed asleep before slowly walking between them again.

From where you watched, all seemed well so you relaxed and lowered your bow, figuring you wouldn't need it. But at that exact moment, Zephyr and Epona neighed loudly. Your eyes widened, and when you turned to look at what had startled them you noticed four Chu Chu Jellies. They were hopping closer to your horses, causing them to freak out and begin kicking around. The loud sound of their hooves and neighs woke the Moblins and Lizalfos instantly, and this made you groan.

You quickly set the bowstring over your shoulder and pulled out your sword, sprinting towards the blue Chu Chu Jellies on light feet. Killing these creatures wasn't at all hard. Besides, you were more worried about Link. When the annoying monsters perished you directed your gaze towards the boy, and your eyes widened.

Link was backflipping in the air when you saw him. He barely escaped the swing of one of the Moblin's swords, which made you grow slightly nervous. Not wasting time you started running to him, but you didn't know if you would make it on time. All of the monsters were surrounding him, making it impossible for you to see if he was alright. You growled under your breath and grabbed your bow, quickly placing an arrow between your fingers. You pulled the string back and let go. The arrow successfully met its target, going right through the chest of a Moblin.

The monster howled out in pain, collapsing onto the ground with a loud thud. Link flickered his eyes to the fallen creature and then looked at you. "Nice shot," he said with a boyish grin.

"I was aiming for the head," you admitted, but you didn't have time to beat yourself over it. "Behind you!" You shouted, hurriedly nocking an arrow between your fingers before drawing the string back. Link turned, seeing a Lizalfo lunge towards him with widened eyes. He ducked, giving you the perfect chance to let go of the arrow. And you did. The arrow flew quickly, making a whooshing sound before meeting the skull of its victim.

You smiled wide, though you enjoyed the moment for merely seconds. The remaining Moblins and Lizalfos were now charging towards you, which made you gulp. In a fast movement, you put your bow away and just before a Moblin could thrust its spear towards your body, you jumped to the left. The world around you slowed, causing a grin to form on your lips as you pulled your sword out. You were instantly slamming it against the body of the monster, taking advantage of the slowed moment. When time went back to normal you backflipped, avoiding a Lizalfos attack.