Chapter 28

After taking your horses from Foothill Stable, Link and you began the journey to Woodland Region, even though the two of you knew little about the forest you needed to head to. Fortunately, you both travelled past various villages and there the blonde boy would ask for directions and information about the sword that seals the darkness. Though many had small knowledge of the legendary sword, one thing was clear. The weapon's location was unknown, or that's what you assumed at least.

Link huffed dejectedly and thanked an older person for giving him a little information of the master sword before walking toward you. He folded his arms as a small frown sat on his face. The boy was losing hope, but there was still a pinch left inside of him.

"Did the man tell you anything?" You asked when he neared you. The frown he displayed, plus his crossed arms let you know how upset he was getting. You bit your bottom lip and reached for his arm, pulling him a bit closer.

"No," he sighed, not reacting to your sudden tug. "He just started telling me about a fruit shop in this village and how I should stop by there before leaving." Link's eyebrows creased as he thought for a few seconds more. "We should just go. No one here knows much about the weapon."

"Now don't say that. I'm sure someone does," you said optimistically. When he responded with a doubtful pout you rolled your eyes and put your hands on his cheeks. Using your thumbs, you placed them at each side of his lips and pulled them into a forced smile. The look on his face made you snicker. "Why don't we go to that fruit shop the man told you about, hmm?" You moved your hands down and shrugged. "He must've mentioned it for a reason."

Link rubbed his cheeks and copied your shrug. "I guess," he mumbled. "Can we buy some fruit while we're there? I'm kinda hungry."

"When are you not?" You teased while opening the small pouch that was hooked to your belt. A mix of gold and green rupees clumped together in the bag and seeing the amount you had made you nod. "We can afford a couple of fruit."

He leaned forward and peeked inside your pouch. "A couple? You have enough money to buy an entire store of fruit!"

You closed your bag and shook your head. "Yes, but we're not wasting all of our money on food, Link. We need to save it."

"Screw saving it. We should use it all to buy a bunch of fruit," he grinned and made a move to grab your pouch, but you side-stepped his attempt.

You clicked your tongue and scolded his action. "Nu-huh," you said, smirking when the boy frowned sadly. Not wanting to be mean, you reached for your pouch and took out one golden rupee. You placed it on the palm of Link's hand and put the flap of your pouch down again. "You can use that rupee to buy however many fruit's you want. The rest we save."

Link glanced down at the single rupee and grinned. He nodded vigorously and looked around him. "I think the man said the shop was... that way," he pointed west and began walking in that direction in a thrilled manner. Holding the rupee in his hand tightly, the boy started to pick up the pace until he was moving faster. He didn't even realise that you weren't behind him, since he was too focused on reaching the fruit shop.

Observing his lifted spirits, you smiled and whistled, waiting for Zephyr and Epona to canter toward you before pursuing the jogging boy. Once the horses were by your side, you motioned them to follow you with a wave of your hand. They obliged and trot beside you as you walked far behind Link. You swung your arms around, moving your gaze from side to side, admiring every inch of the simple village. Many people that lived there would occasionally wave at you sweetly before returning to their everyday tasks.

Life in a small village called your attention greatly, but what attracted you more were the people there. You hummed quietly as you caught up to Link, who was now making his way to what he figured was the fruit shop (with there being baskets of wild berries and other fruits placed outside the cute little store). You jogged toward him and moved to his side, catching sight of his dazzled eyes.