Chapter 14

You took a deep breath and pulled the string of your bow back. Your eyes were locked on the target that rested just a few feet away from you. According to Link, archery was a crucial element when it came to surviving in the wild. And so, to test your skills, he was making you practise. Course, you figured you'd be really good at this, but you couldn't be more wrong. The goddesses had granted you many skills, but archery was definitely not one of them. You lined your arrow with its target and closed one eye.

"No. Both eyes open," Link corrected you, his eyes studying your actions. He, unlike you, didn't expect you to be good right away. Despite this, he was willing to help you as much as he could. In fact, he quite enjoyed teaching you.

"But wouldn't I focus more if I had one closed?" You reasoned, lowering your weapon.

"Only in certain situations, like when there's a lot of sunlight and you can't see your target that well," he explained, "But keeping both eyes open allows your vision to be balanced and therefore gives you a better chance of hitting your target."

You sighed in response and lifted the bow and arrow once again. You lined the shot, opening both eyes this time, but you were starting to focus more on the arrow then the actual target. Every once in a while you'd move it a bit more up, then down, and when you finally let go of the arrow it went flying past the target. You growled under your breath, lowering your bow. Not wanting to hear Link correcting you, you grabbed another arrow from the quiver, nocked it between your fingers and pulled the string back.

"(Y/n)," Link began to speak, but you let go of the arrow before he could say anything. You moved the bow down, squinting your eyes to see the arrow simply fly past the target again. This caused you to frown and you quickly started to fumble for another arrow, but Link stopped you.

"Let me help," he said as he tried to grab the bow from your hands, but you moved it away.

"I can do it," you muttered in annoyance. You placed another arrow, resting it on your index finger. Drawing your arm and string back, you once again focused on the arrow, but Link clicked his tongue and stood behind you, almost pressing himself against your body. The feeling was by no means uncomfortable, but it did cause you to stiffen just a bit.

"I know you can, but let me give you some pointers," Link said as he slowly brought his hand to your arm from behind. "Raise it a bit more until your shoulders are forming a T shape."

You felt yourself get slightly tense, but you followed what he said and rose your right arm more. Link took notice of your tense stance and chuckled deeply. "Try to stay relaxed (Y/n)," he suggested as he looked down at you.

"If you weren't standing so close to me then maybe I could," you said, looking over your shoulder. His big blue eyes stared into yours, and something about the closeness made both of your cheeks burn.

"Ah, yes," Link nodded, quickly taking a step back as he cleared his throat. "Proceed."

You snickered and focused on the arrow once again. Just as you were about to let go, Link stopped you.

"Don't pay attention to the arrow (Y/n)," he advised. "Keep your eyes on the target."

"Oh," you slowly nodded your head. You refocused your attention towards the target and the red dot in the centre. Taking a deep breath, you pulled the string more back and after a few seconds, you let go. You quickly lowered your weapon, taking a few steps forwards to see where the arrow had landed. A grin appeared on your face when you saw it sticking to the outer line of the dot.

A squeal of happiness escaped your lips as you turned to look at Link. "It's not a bullseye, but it still hit the target!" You exclaimed in a burst, smiling wide.