Chapter 33

"Do you want me to start the fire?" Link asked as he strolled toward the trees the two of you would set your beds between. He intertwined your fingers, glancing at you with a boyish grin while waiting for your reply. He saw this as an opportunity to admire your red cheeks, which made him realise how hot his cheeks felt as well. With his free hand, he lifted it to the spot you had kissed him on and smiled to himself, turning away to hide the flustered look that came over his features. Sure, you had kissed his forehead before, but you had never kissed his cheek, and something about that made a funny feeling enter his chest.

"Yes," you replied after a few silent seconds. You were still processing your sudden realisation of liking Link, though it seemed impossible to do this as the boy rubbed your hand with his thumb. Suddenly, holding hands seemed like the most heart-warming thing ever, and your heart swooned at the physical contact. You embraced the butterflies that fluttered in your stomach as the two of you walked under the moon's pale moonlight. "I'll set up the beds."

Link smiled when you responded and hummed as an answer. Once the two of you reached the trees, he reluctantly pulled his hand away from yours and began to search for a few branches to start the fire with. It didn't take him long to gather the things, and as he walked back toward you, he saw you getting the blankets and quilts from the horse's saddlebags. "Need any help?" He asked, seeing you struggle.

"I got it," you said, peeking over the quilt's and blanket's to look at him. You sent him a toothy smile, though he wasn't able to see it.

The boy laughed and dropped the branches and wood on the floor before jogging toward you. "No, you don't," he replied, taking the things from your hands. He stared down at you, smiling when you both made eye contact.

You rolled your eyes playfully and moved past him, stopping where he had dropped the wood. You knelt and started to fix up your bed, placing the blanket as your cushion first before draping your quilt over it. You then stood and skipped toward Link to take the things from his hands. "Where do you want me to set yours?"

"Next to your bed," he said, going over to the branches that were on the floor. He crouched and stuffed his hand into his pouch, searching for a piece of flint.

You nodded and began fixing the next bed as Link started the fire. After a few minutes, you stood up and glanced to the left, seeing Link strike the wood and flint with his sword. Sparks flew and within seconds, hot ribbons of fire danced high. You smiled, immediately feeling it's warmth as it stretched across the wood. You hummed and flickered your attention to Link, who now walked over to Zephyr and Epona. "What are you doing?" You asked, placing a hand on your hip.

Link, after having searched Zephyr's saddlebags for a bit, closed the flap and jogged back to your with a tiny basket of fruit in his hands. "Getting something for us to eat," he beamed, smiling brightly as he took his place on his bed. He gazed up at you before tugging you down beside him.

You snickered and positioned yourself comfortably beside him. "These are my fruits you know," you said, taking a berry from the basket.

"Well, sharing is caring," he responded, grabbing a piece of fruit from the tiny basket. He chuckled when you playfully hit his arm, to which he nudged you back gently.

You shook your head and looked back at the glowing embers that leapt and twirled, giving gleeful light to the area around you. You sighed out softly, shivering just a bit when a sudden gust of air blew past the two of you, weaving the fire to the right. "So," you began, filling the crackling sounds of the fire, "how far away is Gerudo Town from here?" You looked at Link and waited for his answer.

"Without the map of that region, I can't say," Link replied, pulling his eyes away from the fire and directing them to you. "But when I was studying the map earlier, it showed that we have to go down this bridge called the Digdogg Suspension Bridge."