Chapter 20

"Okay, okay, um," Link rubbed his chin as he thought deeply. He gently tugged back on Epona's reins, having her trot by Zephyr's side slowly. "Sunsets, or sunrises?" He glanced at you when he asked his question. The two of you had been travelling to Kakariko Village for days now and though the journey was enjoyable, Link decided to ask you a series of questions for fun.

You hummed in thought. "Well," you began, "I never wake up early enough to see sunrises, so I would have to go with sunsets." You turned to look at him with a small smile. "How about you? What do you prefer?"

The boy chuckled at your response and moved his eyes forward before responding. "You know, I've never really paid attention to either. I mean, I've seen both, but I guess I never really stop when travelling to admire them," he answered with a shrug, kicking his horse's sides softly to make her trot a bit more quickly.

You nodded, doing the same with Zephyr. "That's true," you replied. "When the sun goes down today, we should stop to admire it then. Count it as a rest from all the travelling." You hummed at the end of your words before looking toward the road you were both on. There was a vast field in front of you, and not a single monster or creature was in sight. This made your muscles relax, though you kept your back straight just in case a stupid Bokoblin or Lizalfo decided to ambush you.

"Why don't we just rest now?" Link asked.

"Cause we still have a long way ahead of us and the more ground we cover the better."

"But doesn't a nap sound nice right about now?" His soothing words were laced with persuasion and there was a tiny grin setting on his lips when he thought about resting.

"Link, no."

The blonde boy pouted and stared at you with big eyes. "Please. A five-minute nap at least?"

You didn't dare turn to look at him because you knew that the moment you did, you would cave. Instead of responding, you stayed quiet and urged Zephyr to trot more quickly, leaving him behind. You heard a groan come from him as you did this, and the sound of heavy hooves nearing you soon entered your ears as well. You kept your gaze ahead when Epona trotted by your side, but from the corner of your eyes, you were able to see Link's unmistakeable pouting face. You could've sworn you saw his lips quivering as well.

"(Y/n)," he whined, moving Epona closer. He reached to grab your horse's reins, but you pulled them away before he could. This only caused him to whine more until he dropped his head, in a way of giving up.

You glanced at him, sighing when you noticed the look of defeat on his face. I guess he can sleep... You let your head fall back, groaning quietly. "Fine," you said. His head immediately flew up, but you held up a finger before he could say anything. "We're not stopping though. Give me Epona's reins. I'll lead her while you sleep on her back."

"That seems awfully uncomfortable," he said while rubbing his neck. An idea popped into his head and he quickly stopped Epona. You raised an eyebrow and stopped Zephyr as well, observing as he hopped off his horse's back and then made his way to yours. Without a word he got on Zephyr and sat behind you with a grin. "Wake me up once the five minutes are up," he chuckled, wrapping his arms from behind you. His head came to rest on the back of your shoulder and after a few seconds, you could feel his warm breath against your tunic.

"What... really, Link?" You scoffed, glancing over your shoulder to look at the grinning boy. You didn't mind him sleeping on you, but you pretended to.

"This is comfy," he said as an argument.

You rolled your eyes, a smile tugging your lips when you felt him hold you a bit more tightly. The position sent a series of unknown flutters in your stomach, but you moved past them as you leaned to the side, grabbing ahold of Epona's reins. "Follow me, okay girl?" You spoke to the horse sweetly and gently kicked Zephyr's sides, urging her into a soft gallop. As the horses began to move, Link clung onto your tunic since he didn't want to fall. You snickered when you felt it and glanced over your shoulder, though you only saw his blonde hair wiping around. Turning your attention back to the path, you gripped Zephyr's reins more tightly and hummed to yourself.