Chapter 23

Elixirs. According to many people, they were vital when travelling. The potion like liquid varied from granting someone extra energy for a period of time, to healing them when gravely injured. How you made them was something Link and you didn't know, but a certain traveller helped the two of you out by gifting you a book with recipes for elixirs. Now, you didn't think elixirs were a big deal, but Link did. So there you sat, with the book in your hands as Link knelt in front of a boiling pot. He stared at the newly made liquid with furrowed eyebrows, studying it intently.

"I think it's ready," Link said as he grabbed a wooden spoon. He wasn't exactly sure how the elixir was supposed to look (the book only mentioned it was supposed to turn a green colour) but he hoped he had prepared it correctly. He scooped a tiny bit of the liquid and glanced at you. "Try it."

You scrunched your nose. "I'm sorry, me? Hell no." You weren't too keen on trying the unknown elixir. For all you knew, Link could've made a mistake that resulted in you getting sick or something along those lines.

"Oh come on," he laughed as he brought the spoon up to your lips. "I'm sure it's not that bad."

You shook your head and clamped your hand over your mouth. "No, I am not drinking that. You put monster parts in it! Not to mention a frog!" You stated with disgust. You stared at the murky green liquid that sat on the spoon. The simple sight of it caused your stomach to churn in displeasure. You quickly moved your head away and shivered. "You try it."

Link looked at the liquid and let out a puff of air. "How about we both do? At the same time," he suggested as he dumped the liquid back inside the pot. He grabbed your satchel and rummaged through it until he found two small empty glass bottles. A grin appeared on his lips as he opened the bottles, only to fill them with the green elixir. He then handed you one of them and gave you a look. "Come on. We won't know if it works until we drink it."

You scowled and glanced down at the small glass bottle he was offering. "Do I have to?" You groaned, earning a look from Link. You grumbled, took the warm bottle into your hand and hesitantly brought it up to your lips. The boy copied your action. "I hate you for making me do this," you muttered before chugging the drink. The minute the sour liquid coated your tongue, hundreds of chills ran through your body, causing you to make a screwed face. You managed to swallow the elixir, but a tiny groan followed. "That was disgusting!"

The Hylian boy burst out laughing when he saw your face of displeasure. He set his still full bottled elixir down and hugged his stomach. "Oh my goddesses, your face!" He wheezed as he kicked his legs around.

You shivered, grimacing when the after taste remained in your mouth. "Shut up— wait. You didn't drink yours?!" You gasped and looked at him with an appalled face.

Link only laughed more and shook his head. "Darn, I should've taken a picture of your reaction to the elixir," he chortled, hugging his stomach more tightly when it began to hurt.

You scoffed and smacked his head. "You're the worst," your grumbled while crossing your arms.

"It looked too disgusting," he replied while catching his breath.

"So you just made me drink it for no reason?"

"I wouldn't say that. We need to see if it works." He cleared his throat, though a quiet chuckle would be heard every few seconds. "Do you feel any different?"

You huffed. "No," you answered plainly while turning away from the boy.

Link smirked and took the book of elixirs that sat on your lap. "Well what I just made was an enduring elixir, meaning it should grant you more energy when doing things for a small period of time," he explained as he read parts of the brown book. He glanced up at you and pursed his lips. "You need to run around."