Chapter 42

"You sure you don't need my help?" Link asked when he noticed your miniature struggle to get on Zephyr. You had woken up sore that morning, which...was expected after the events that had taken place the day before.

"No, I got this," you huffed. You lifted your foot to place it into the stirrup, but the soreness that rocked between your thighs made you groan as you looked at him in defeat. "Okay, I don't got this."

Link grinned and walked to you. "Maybe you should ride with Epona and me," he suggested while cupping your face with one hand.

"I wouldn't mind that," you smiled and turned your head just a bit to kiss his palm sweetly.

He watched as your pretty lashes batted when you looked up at him, and his heart clenched at your beauty. When you tiptoed to kiss him, his lips were a smiling mess against yours.

"We have to get going," he groaned, eyes closed as he pulled away from your sweet kiss, but your lips moved onto his again.

"I know," you mumbled, but there was a sense of end in the air around you, and you felt the need to enjoy the final days of peace before the two of you entered Central Hyrule.

Link's hands fell to hold your waist, and when you moved back for air, he sighed and let his eyes flutter open to see your blushing appearance. "Come on," he said as he took your hand. He laced your fingers with his as he led you to Epona, who had occupied herself with a patch of grass.

When he turned to you, he carefully grabbed you from the waist and helped you onto Epona's saddle. "Comfortable?" He asked as he got on in front of you. He felt your hands slither around his torso, followed by the feeling of your chin on his shoulder.

"Mmm, very," you hummed and pressed a quick kiss on his neck before turning to look at Zephyr, but she must've known what you planned on asking because she followed close to Epona as Link urged her forward.

He didn't need to look down at the Sheikah Slate to make sure he was going the right way because he had already checked it beforehand. The path you two were on would eventually lead into the clearness of Central Hyrule, and he had measured the distance correctly; it would be a matter of days until you got there.

Link let out a short breath and concentrated on what was happening now. He forced his mind, really, to focus on the way you had started to play with the hem of his tunic and the small tune you hummed as he led Epona around the curves of the path.

"So about last night," you said after a few moments of pleasing silence, "I don't want to pry, especially when you said you'd talk to me eventually, but...your memories..."

Link grimaced at the mention, but a promise was a promise, and he knew he owed it to you. "Right, that," he sighed and let Epona's reins fall from his hands. Maybe it was a good thing you were sitting behind him because at least then you wouldn't be able to see the way his face twisted as he let himself think about the memories and thoughts he had pushed away.

"You know how I've been remembering Princess Zelda?" Link felt you nod against his shoulder and took it as an indication to continue. "Well, it's not like any of them were bad memories. They've been good ones, but..." Link couldn't stop himself from trailing off.

"But what?" You asked as you leaned forward to grab his hand.

Link looked down and started to run his thumb over your fingers. "I started to remember everything, (Y/n)," he admitted, but it wasn't a good thing for him. "The battle against Ganon 100 years ago...it started as a nightmare most nights, but it got more and more clear until I got my last memory days ago. I didn't want to sleep that night, and I regret ever closing my eyes because the second I did, I was back there, back in that giant field with the Princess."