1

Ronit

I landed at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai. And as I expected I saw my little brother Neev in front of me waiting for me to take home. "Hey brother, missed you." I chuckled. "How similar our thoughts are brother because I didn't" he scowled at me. "You came after five long months and you still are mocking me." That's what I do little brother, that's what I do.

He walked inside the house and I saw my mother hugging me. "Ronit, son I have missed you too much." I hugged my mother. "You had a long flight, why don't you freshen up, and I will send dinner to your room. Then after you have rested properly, we can talk about everything tomorrow." It didn't surprise me at all. She is like this always ever since her father passed away, she had become a cold and hard businesswoman.

The only affection that I ever received from her was one or two words of praise. My brother is however truly unaware of the situation I and my mother are in. I kept him out of this business which had taken everything away from me. It had taken everything away. "I will see you tomorrow then mother" I walked inside my room and my phone rang.

"Hey baby" I heard her voice. The only thing that made my day is my girlfriend Tanvi. We met at an event when I was just starting out in Canada and now it had been three years. She and I are going strong together. "Hi Love, I have reached safely. Don't worry soon your days of being far from me will be over. I will convince my mother I promise." I loved to hear her voice in for the next week or so, I am going to miss her so much.

"So, are you missing me so much Ronit?" She asked. "I am in fact I wish this event end already that, I can come to you and put that ring on your finger. I cannot help to call you Mrs..." I hear my brother's restless voice. "What? When?" He asked in a frantic voice. "I understand," He told in a desperate voice. "I know, I too didn't wish to leave you alone, especially when..." he paused. "I know you are and I am too. I wish there is another way"

"Tanvi, my brother must have run into some trouble. Let me see what it is first and then I will call you back" I said to her. "But Ronit, I am talking to you first time today." I don't like when she starts this. It always irritated me. "Tanvi, I will call back after I resolve my brother's issue," said I in a sharp tone. And then I cut the call, putting it inside my pocket.

I walked out to see him pacing with his head in his hand and consoling someone on phone. "I know but if mom sees me, it will end badly. Don't worry, it is just for tonight, just for tonight. You will be back safe and sound after the night passes. That is only a temporary arrangement." I tapped on his back. "Who is it this time?" Neev put the phone away and looked at me. "It is nothing brother really" I narrowed my eyes and snatched his phone away.

And then checked his call list. "then who is this Shehzaadi? Have you knocked out someone brother? Please I cannot deal with all that you do. I told you before having fun but not too much fun. Soon you will be in charge of the Indian branch. You cannot fool around like this. If this keeps happening you are going to get used by people. Now, what is it?" I asked patiently. He snatched my phone back looking worried still. "That bad huh?" what is going on, I have never seen him so tense before. "We can pay them off brother and mother will not know I will deal with my personal account I promise."

He looked at the time. "There is something brother." He said looking at me. "There is this girl, she is my best friend actually and there had been some bad things going on in her life. She was attacked a few days ago. I took her to our apartment at Bandra, and she is there currently. Mother found out that I was involved with the attack and she just forbid me to get out." I looked at him concerned. I never saw my brother so much concern about anyone.

"Does mother know about this girl of yours? This Shehzaadi of yours?" I asked in a mocking tone. "For once brother I am serious. She was terrified. I protected her. Mom thought it was some random college fight. It was our graduation ceremony. And she is not just any girl she is my best friend Anvi." He turned around looking out of the balcony. "Tell me brother was it wrong of me to stand up for her? What you would have done?" He asked.